Cycling and things that happened.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I am 5 days into my Part 2 of The Package from TBS.

My setup is as follows.

80Gallon Bowfront - Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 2 - Coralife 125 Skimmer - UV Sterilizer(not hooked up yet)

Tank is crystal and the critters are tooling around and cleaning all the fuzz of the rocks as they are looking sweet. Had the temp set for 76 but for some reason it was 78 this morning. I had all 4 lights and my LEDS on but that never raised the temp before so.

Here is a rundown of what has happened from day 1.

I put in my sand and dry and live rock. Never had Ammonia over .5PPM. Never did a water change for the first week because the ammonia only drifted down to .25 or less PPM.

Got my Part 2 Saturday which was the rest of my live rock and my critters.

Just 3 days after that I said what the hey and tested my Nitrates which were pretty high. Close to 50PPM if not a hair lower which is bad.

Today I was reading some stuff and saw that my Nitrite reading could be messing with my Nitrate reading depending on its amount.

So I took these test this morning

Ammonia - .25-.5PPM
Nitrates - at least 45PPM
PH - 8.2
AK - Dead center on the chart(not sure of the number)
Nitrates - Can
t recall the number but it was high.

So with the low Ammonia I was sort of happy but said screw this I am changing 20% of the water.

I have been watching the Ammonia spike so much I never tested anything else. I was certain I read that after the spike you should get a raise in Nitrites and then Nitrates.

The animals seem fine but right now I have 21 gallons I made this morning and tossed the heater and pump into to have it ready for tonight.

Any thoughts or tips.

NOTE: I have the Berlin/White sleeves that come with the Aqueon in the unit. I took them out because when they start getting clogged they hold back the water and you can see it. I put clean ones in this morning also.

Also my first chamber of the sump has like a grayish build on the bottom of the chamber.

Spanx

Last edited:
It is like I read one thing and it is a warning about my levels and then I read another thing and it is like when you start out this is normal and you critters will be fine.

I still feel I should change 20 Gallons but then worry I am tossing good bacteria.

Well I was hoping it would be a help lowering the Nitrates and Nitrites that have been festering.

I was only checking the Ammonia because I just put the rocks in and sand over the last 2 weeks.

While cycling my TBS, I watched ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia comes down but then nitrates will stay high for a bit. Keep doing those water changes until the nitrates drop. Mine would go as high as 20 but then eventually they'll settle down to 10 or less until they are pretty much at zero.

Back