Cycling Dry Rock Without Seed Rock

x19

Reefing newb
Hey Everyone,

My Marco Rock arrives today for my 90 gallon upgrade. Initially I was planning to seed with some rock from my blacked out sump on my 30 gallon, but even being in the dark for months hasn't been enough to kill the bubble algae on that rock and I just don't want to risk introducing that plague onto my new tank.

It seems to me that if I put the dry rock in saltwater and seed it with a dead shrimp then the ammonia created will naturally start the cycle, even without any seed rock. Is this correct?

Then to ensure the bacteria that I want is what develops I was thinking I would add MB7 to the curing rock. MB7 should take the place of the seed rock right?

We all know the cycle is one of the most important parts of setting up a new tank and I don't want to start out on the wrong foot. This cycle will take place in my garage over the next two months so that when my new tank arrives I can place this new rock into the tank and then transfer all of my coral and fish straight in. I don't have space to run two tanks for any period of time.

Im not sure what MB7 is, but even without that you cycle a tank totally dry. It just takes a little more time, which you seem to have plenty of.

Because the rock is going to be sitting there for so long, i would make sure you keep "feeding" the tub so the bacteria doesnt die off once the cycle is over and then it will be more ready for transfer.

Back