cycling & LR

iamfor3

Reefing newb
Hi:wave:

I have a 46 gal bowfront that is cycling for 1 1/2 weeks. I got LS and Base rock in tank. Put a shrimp in to start cycle. I have 60 lbs cured LR I got from
a friends tank I have it in a plastic tub w/ skimmer, light 2 PH.
Should I wait to put LR in untill after cycle is complete.

Thanks Newbi

Well if your tank is cycling I would put all the rocks in. Plus LFS will say it's cure but sometimes it's not. (do the smell test, if it stinks then there's dead organisms on the rock) You don't want to cycle your tank then put the rocks which my cause a 2nd cycle. Might as well just have one cycle.

It's also not a good idea to put any fish or inverts in your tank while it's cycling because they'll probably die. I would remove the shrimp and put him back after the tank is cycled. Unless you meant a dead shrimp to help the cycling then that's fine.

Also my brother is setting up a nano tank and didn't want to wait the cycle period, so he bought live bacteria (that can be purchased at LFS they come refrigerated) and the next day he's tank was cycled completely. It worked for him.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Put all the rock in and cycle the system. smell the water if it starts to smell foul do water changes. test and watch for the cycle. good luck keep us posted.

I would agree with jhnrb,The will help with the tank cycle.The rock will help process the amonia to nitrite to nitrate.Please read the helpful articles for extra research.

HI
well I put the rocks in yesterday nitrite 0.0 nitrate maybe .5 or 0 going color blind or to close to tell will check again tomrrow. The first week&1/2 my nitrites were way up same with nitrate and ammonia then put LR in and in 1 day all 0's. My LR came out of a tank into my tank. am I going to have another cycle? I dont have brown alge on my sandbed its on the LR
How long do I wait till I put some cleanup crew in?
and when I figure out how to put pic on here ill do that.

give the system at least 10 days to see if you experiance another cycle. if all parameters are good, and if you have alga for food you can slowly start to add your clean up crew. but go slow.

Back