Cycling nearly complete

Nedim

Reefing newb
Im definately happy, its been a month since the process started. I took some parameters a few minutes ago.

pH-7.8
Nitrite-3.3-33 mg/l
KH-9
C02 Content-5.0 mg/l
Ammonia-0-.25 mg/l

On the way is an AquaC Remora skimmer, RO/DI unit and eventually t-5's. I'm thinking about adding 5-15 lb more of cured live rock to fill in some gaps and give my rock wall a bit of height. I almost can't grasp the idea of fish in my tank, its been so long.lol The LR is coming along nicely, I'm seeing green, purple and red corraline growth and some green plant looking things growing out of the crevices. All in all, I think I've got a nice setup going. I'm gonna head to a few petstores tomorrow and see if they carry premixed ro water. Ive got enough for the unit, but most of it is going to go towards the skimmer, so the ro unit will have to wait a few months. I have a question, is AquaC Remora made by a larger company? Like MarineLand makes H.O.Ts?

Alright, little update.

My ammonia is nearly 0 mg/l

Nitrites are anywhere from 3.3-33 mg/l

pH is still like 7.8

C02 is about 4.0 mg/l

KH is about 8

Im getting the AquaC Remora with mag pump soon. I'm most likely gonna order it from big als.

I'm looking at either metal halides or a power compact for lighting. Is there a light fixture that had day/night setting so I can view my fish at night?

Oh yeah, today I found an amazing fish/reptile store and the lady who worked there sold me about 1lb of rock with a tiny coral growing on it for $20
She said it would be fine in my tank. Its a soft coral. I also got a red hermit crab. I'm going to head back there on wednesday and look into an ro unit. I have a question, does the ro/di unit just connect to the tap water faucet, or does it require special plumbing?

I posted some pics in the gallery, I hope you enjoy them. The coral isnt in the pics because I just got it a few hours ago. Oh, I also got coral food. Whats the best way to feed? Ive heard of the turkey baster type deal, any good?

I dont think you should of added any thing untill the tank is fully cycled, I think the coral will most likly die from the trites and the stress, also if anything dies it will probably make your cycle longer. What kind of coral, most of them I dont think need extra feedings I do belive they are filter feeder and live off of the light because of the algae in there bodies. Do you have lighting for your tank? The corals need good lighting depending on your coral some need low some need high. If I were you I would try and take it back untill the cycle is fully completed other wise thats probably 20.00 down the drain and a life of misery for the poor coral. Remember you have to go slow read, read, read, and reread then learn, learn, and learn some more and then take it slow. I made mistake of getting corals too soon and now I'm giving mine away for free untill I can get my tank to gether better just so it has a good life. Just please take it slow, I hate to see any aquatic life go though a bad life or unneeded stress. Also when your cycle is complete you cant just add alot of life at once you have to take it slow to or you can have another cycle to go through, The most I've added at once was two fish and still wanted to add 1 at a time but they need to go in at the same time so one didnt get turf first. Belive me I know its hard to go slow and wait to get new fish but if you want to be succsesfull you have to go really slow.

Besides your tank not being cycled its still not ready, your ph is low, I cant believe your lfs said it would be ok in your tank this early in the cycle. I would take it back and not go there again, no lfs should ever trick or sell you something knowing it has a good chance of dieing. What are the rest of your perameters, salinity, trates, calcium. Also after your cycle is completed you will probably have trats to deal with untill you can stableize them, after mine finished I had 40 ppm trates.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely get your nitrates tested, anything above 20 can kill your coral. And I bet yours will be way over 20 at this point in the cycle, and for a long time afterwards. I agree with Bobby, your nitrites are way too high to be adding anything. You said that the fish you had have all died -- if your fish have died, then your coral definitely will not fare well, they are much more sensitive and difficult to keep than fish. Believe me, fish are a cakewalk compared to corals. I second Bobby's opinion on the lighting too -- you will need much stronger lighting than what you have to keep a coral alive.

You really should not add anything until you get your skimmer, your pH is between 8.2 and 8.4, ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates are less than 20. This will take time, we've all been through it! Please don't rush into buying stuff, especially corals, it will just cost you a lot of money and it will make your tank take longer to get ready.

The lady told me it would be fine, but Id rather listen to you guys. Im gonna take the coral to my job and let it sit in our store's tank. Thanks for the advice.

Thats a good idea. BTW I wasnt trying to come down on you and I'm sure it might of souned that way, but I hate to see any thing die for no reason. It will take time to get your tank ready though, mine has been up for about 5 months now and was good for a bit but now having probs with cyno, so I getting rid of corals and going to let it mature much longer and get everything going good for atleast another 3 to 6 months before I even think about adding any more corals. You should keep your perameters stable for a long time before you add to much stuff or corals.

I think that's a good idea, Nedim. I think that your tank will turn out awesome if you give it some time, you are taking the right steps and buying the right equipment for it.

You have to be careful there are some people out there that dont care about the life they just want to make the sell Id do the same as you put it in a safe haven untill your params are right and stable.

Don't think we are criticizing you, Nedim, we're not! We don't want to scare you away:mrgreen:. I think that you are on the right track with your tank.

No deffinately not if you need help all you need to do is ask thats what were here for I know its discouraging but we will help you however we can.

Dont worry, I didnt take it negatively.lol.

I gave the coral to a guy at my job who can take care of it.

On a different note, the cycle is on its last leg.

My readings are-

Ammonia-0
pH-7.8
KH-8
Nitrites-1.6 mg/l
C02-4.0mg/l

Yep, looks like you are getting over that hill. Try to get your pH up around 8.2 if you can (I know it's tough when there is so much else going on with the water at the same time).

Back