Cycling Question

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
I've had things in place now for just under 2 weeks, and am consistently getting a .25 reading on ammonia - is there anything I should be doing besides replenishing evaporated water? Water changes, perhaps?

I'm wondering if this prolonged exposure to ammonia is going to kill all the organisms in the substrate?

Most test kits will always read .25ppm. I don't remember the name of the chemical that causes it but its quite common. My test kit will read .25ppm on a brand new batch of salt water.
Incase your wondering.....Your tank is still to young to add any fish or corals. You could add a cleaning crew in 2 weeks or so. I personally recommend letting your tank cycle at least 6 weeks before adding fish or corals. Patience is what will make your tank successful.

I'm an old fart - and with that comes patience - I just wanted to make sure I'm not skipping something I'm supposed to be doing besides waiting and watching...
BTW, I'm using the Red Sea Master Kit. I've given up on these crappy Hydrometers (my 2nd one, Red Sea - cost twice as much as the Instant Ocean brand, and is nearly as junky). Ordered the refractometer yesterday...

LOL.... I'm young and dumb and I learned the cycling Patience thing the hard way. You may see a nitrate spike and brown algae outbreak towards the end of your cycle. That is nothing to worry about either its just part of cycling your tank.
I have a cheap little coral life deep six hydrometer that works great. I have almost had it a year now so I took it to my LFS and tested it against there glass hydro meter. Its still dead on, The key is to wash them out with freshwater after every use. Salt will stick to the pointer and really throw them off quick.

Have you had a nitrite or nitrate spike yet? If you did have an nitrite and nitrate spike, and nitrite has returned to zero, then I'd say your ammonia test kit is faulty. If you have consistently had nitrites and nitrates at zero so far, then there's a chance you still have ammonia and your cycle is just taking a long time.

Sarah, you are brilliant - of course I don't have the answer to your question, as I haven't tested for either nitrite OR nitrates - because "THE BOOK" (The New Marine Aquarium) didn't say to test for them until ammonia is at zero...

I'll check 'em now. Thanks!

I agree with hawk alot of kits read .25 even though its 0. One way to find out for sure is take a sample in to the LFS and have them test it. Perameters look great thought. I would say its already cycled. Good luck and keep us posted.

i would say that you are about half way through the cycle if you are showing nitrites. they should read 0 after a few days and then you will start seeing nitrates. the amount of ammonia and nitrates that you will see depends of how much decaying matter that you have in you're tank. it shouldn't kill anything in the substrate. it should actually make it all grow.

Theres still a trace of nitrite,So just keep testing,I'd say that another day or 2 and the nitrit will be gone.Once its at 0,just do a 10 to 20% water change and watch it for another week or 2 and then start SLOWLY adding a clean up crew.

Hope this helps. (remember the advice on the ammonia test kit when reading these articles.)

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/517-cycling-tank.html

Thought this would be of interest also:

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/519-beginning-saltwater-aquaria.html

one more for general background info.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/503-beginners-guide.html

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY VISITED OUR HELPFUL ARTICLES FORUM AND READ THE ARTICLES GREAT IF NOT HOPE THE LINKS HELP.

Last edited:
Good deal Kevin.
Now just watch it for a week or,and if nothing dont spike back up,drop in a few clean up critter.Either some small hermits or if you have any algae,s couple of snails.
Just remember to take it slow and easy.The worst parts behind you now.
Keep us posted and good luck with it.

Ran tests last night, and everything is zero'd out! So that's the good news. Bad news is the SG is still dangerously low (1.021), and the pH is a bit higher than I'd like (8.4) Plus, to make matters worse, you guys were right again (as always); I MUST put the lights on risers, as the temp in the tank was 81 at 8:00 last night. Ambient temperature in the room was about 75....

So - whats the best way to increase my salinity, and do I have to worry about the pH or is it OK? I'll be adding first livestock on Sunday or Monday, barring any unforseen changes. Going forward I fully expect to have no add'l trouble with SG, as the refractometer is arriving on Friday.

Gradually increase your salinity over the next few water changes by replacing the old water with extra-salty water. 1.021 isn't dangerously low. It's just low. Try to get it up around 1.023 or 1.024. 81 degrees isn't bad either...You just don't want large temperature swings. As long as the tank stays within a few degrees of 81 over a 24-hour period, you'll be fine. But putting the lights on legs is a good idea anyways, it allows easier access to the tank and decreases the chance that your lights will get splashed. A pH of 8.4 is fine, although 8.2 is idea. But 8.4 isn't going to hurt anything.

If I need to raise my salinity I use saltwater to top off my tank instead of fresh water. 1.021 isnt that low.... I run my tanks at 1.022 in the summer and on a really hot day by the time water has evaped and I need to top off my tank its at 1.026.
You said you checked tested your water in the evening.... You PH will rise from morning to night. Heres an artical from JRNRB
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/1063-ph-co2.htmle morning to night

Back