Cyno=me ready to get rid of my tank!

Ashna

Reefing newb
ok so i have been battling cyno for well over 2 mnths. ive treated 3 times with chemiclean but it keeps coming back. my nitrites/nirates and ammonia are reading 0 (clearly there not) ive reduced my feeding to once every 3 days and only small amounts to diminsh extra crud. tryed blacking out my tank for 3 days, im scared to do it much longer then that bcuz of my corals. im using R/O water for water changes and im doing 25-30% water changes once a week. i would think that it is lack of flow in my tank but ive added 2 more power heads an the cyno is actually growing on my power heads! ive tryed sucking it out with my turkey baster, phosphate removers! What the heck else can i do?!

Sounds like you have all bases covered except Phosphates & lights. If you're using old bulbs than that's probly your problem. Some bulbs last 7 months, some last a year. You should also buy a phosphate test kit so you can see exactly what your up against.

The chemiclean stuff is actually an antibacterial solution, so anything that survives the first use of it, will be resistant to future uses. Thats why you should only use it as a last resort.

So you are down to beating it with nutrient export. I would do a longer blackout, the corals will fine without lights for a week or so. Just be sure to re-acclimate them to the lighting. Do a huge waterchange before, in the middle and then at the end. Be sure to suck out every little bit you can see.

What do you have for other type of filtration? How many fish do you have? How old are your bulbs?

bulbs are prob 4 mnths old at the most, ive been slowly moving my fish out so im down to a 6line wrasse and a clown. will my anemone be ok with out lights for that long? For filtation i have a skimmer and a carbon filter, i just added a nitrate remover to the filter in hopes it will help.

Back