Cyno

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have a 220Gal with 4 1400 GPH Powerheads on a wavemaker and 2 1250GPH blowing up at the surface.

Prior to this I had the above plus a couple of 550GPHs and an additional 1250 blowing around.

Well recently I had a fish death and like any other I had the sand got a light brown growth on it that eventually went away. THis time however I started to notice red growth on the sand but only around the corals. Keep in mind these corals do blow around so they have flow near them.

I had a plate die like 80% from being stung for who knows how long till I noticed, but the last 20% is not dying and is just staying put. Where it has died the Cyno had grown over and has many air bubbles on it but I finally took it out and scrubbed it and put it back.

Ok so yesterday I noticed on of the Hydors was going backwards because the bushing that stops it from doing that had cracked off. They are replacing it but it could have been going backward for weeks.

Being that Cyno is usually from low flow is it possible this one powerhead could have been the root of this growth. I can see how it make alter the tank flow when not working but man one of 4 and this is what happens? The Cyno is no worse or better in any one section though but it is only around the corals and clams. Nothing on the rocks or anywhere else. I did notice my glass seemed to green up way faster as well. It would be a weekly cleaning now it is like 3 days.

I am already getting part free from Hydor but I was thinking of putting the 1250 back in and maybe the 550 as well. I like having the 2 1250 blowing up to the surface but was thinking that they may not be needed. I love surface movement but maybe the 550 can handle that on its own then I can put 2 or 3 1250's with the 4 1400's again.

I know having 9350GPH seems like a lot for a 220Gal but man it seems to be the best way to keep the tank as clean as possible.

I have 0 Nitrates or Phosphates. I use RO/DI water but recently my water has read 1 on the TDS meter and while I have the supplies to make it 0 I would hardly think a 1 would cause that to happen. I could be wrong but I know many people who use worse water with no Cyno. Maybe using 0 for so long and the 1 is like a shock.

My Acro is bursting in growth as we speak. It has just gotten its green color back on 30% of its skin and has just grown out some and with a few new arms. I added that to show the water can't be all that bad.

Last edited:
Low flow doesnt cause cyano. It needs to be fed nutrients. If it comsumes nutrients as fast as they are being produced you will get a zero reading on a test. Need to figure out what is feeding it or it will continue to show up.

I don't know. Some people have said that they've seen their crabs or snails eating it. I don't really believe it! It's certainly not the norm.

Well it seems to have reduced in the amount in the tank. I do not know why. Maybe just a week bloom. I did do a water change so I am sure that helped.

I will keep an eye on it. I have no salt to do a water change this weekend unless I go to the store but I was going to add it to my online order.

I'll see I guess. I thought I saw it before but I am not sure.

I honestly do not even test my water hardly anymore. It was just the same old same old every time so I cut way back but I will start doing it more often again. My brother was just here feeding for me and said it looked as clear as he can recall.

I do not know why but my acro went on a growth spurt at the same time as this and it is still growing. Reminds me of my bushes that grow and bloom every spring.

Back