d2mini's 28g Nano Tank of Angler Awesomeness

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So the decision has been made and put into action.
I decided to go with the Angler setup for two reasons.
1) It's more unique
2) This should be a little easier than Seahorses which is good since I have my big cube to take care of and I won't worry as much if I have to leave town for a few days.

So this will be an Angler tank, probably a yellow warty or a red/orange. Waiting to see what my LFS can get me. And then the rest will be live rock, 1-1.5" of sand, and lots of colorful softies like Ricordea, Zoas, and Sponges. The Anglers can change color to match their surroundings so I want to keep everything nice and colorful.

So the tank has been filled and it's running. Filled it mostly with fresh saltwater with just a little bit of water from my other tank. I'm going to let the drain from my main tank and auto water changes system drain into a bucket for the week, which I'll end up transferring into this tank via water changes to get some of the good bacteria in it.

Since I had such an awesome experience with Tampa Bay Saltwater with the other tank, I'll be going that route again. Might place the order for a friday delivery this week, we'll see. Part 1 of "The Package" will get me half the rock and all the sand. Then in another week or two I'll be able to get Part 2 which will get me the rest of the rock and all the other goodies! Then mr Angler. Between using water from my big tank and using TBS, I should pretty much skip any kind of cycle. The plan is to also keep this tank as simple as possible. Maybe a timer for the lights, but not much else. At least for quite a while. The only thing I'm planning on adding in the near future is a nano protein skimmer.

Here's the first pics!
I decided to place the tank in the living room by the fireplace (which we never use, we're in texas) and it's just 7 feet or so from my other tank. You can see the blue glow on the giraffes in the first pic.

5027796798_5c3ab70366_o.jpg

5027179615_828fa34c70_o.jpg

Dennis, I might suggest an inexpensive ATO for your build. Before I built the sump for my nanocube I had lots of problems with micro bubbles in the display because of evaporation in the return chambers.

mmm I dunno Dennis. That tank is looking a little heavy on the rim side of things :D

Looks like an awesome spot for it and am stoked to see this progess!

Nice Dennis, I guess its on now ,battle of the anglers:D,i'm getting my Angler Tuesday( hopefully):Cheers:....Your nano will look a lot better than mine though...i won't have any corals or anything for awhile

When you get your rock from TBS, you'll probably be getting like 56 lbs, right? Remember that the display is only actually 20-23 gallons so that rock fills it up pretty quick. Mine looked stuffed when I put package #2 into my display. Also, I think you can ask him for rocks specifically for a nano tank. Good luck can't wait to see it start to come together.

When you get your rock from TBS, you'll probably be getting like 56 lbs, right? Remember that the display is only actually 20-23 gallons so that rock fills it up pretty quick. Mine looked stuffed when I put package #2 into my display. Also, I think you can ask him for rocks specifically for a nano tank. Good luck can't wait to see it start to come together.

I'll probably be ordering the 25 gallon package at the most, and Richard knows the tank it's going in to and what I'm doing with it. I'll also be requesting a few extras for my big tank to replace some sponges and stuff I lost. And any leftover rocks which I'm expecting to have will be used in my Fluval Edge at my office that I've been wanting to convert to salt. So ya, with 3 tanks to take up extra, I should have lots of choices on what to use and how to use it. :bounce:

Oh, and thanks for the reminder on the ATO. I'll probably set something up eventually with a little sicce pump and an ato from autotopoff.com

The way you are with your builds I figured you'd be on top of it but, I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Houston, we have initiated approval for launch of Live Rock from Tampa Bay, Florida.
Scheduled launch for Friday morning with touch down in Houston Friday afternoon. :coolgleem

I'm so glad I caught this build from the beginning instead of having to play catch up like with the cube.
You must be excited. I know I am!

haha, ya... those long build threads are tough to get through. :D

I'm pretty excited. Especially after watching this! :mrgreen:
wait for it..... wait for it.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qBA_02MoQ]YouTube - Crazy animal behaviour - Orange frogfish bites off more than it can chew! (HD)[/ame]

Back