d2mini's 46g Bow Front

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Hi, all... i guess it's that time to start my own build thread!
Thanks for all the help so far and I'm sure I'll be needing lots more. :bowdown:

So here's what I have so far. I've been posting some pics of my stand build in the dyi forum so you might recognize the first few pics. After finishing the stand I spent an entire weekend figuring out the plumbing with countless trips to lowe's, home depot and my lfs trying to find all the right pieces. I'm using a CPR CY192 Wet/Dry filter but without the bio-bale, so it's really just a sump with protein skimmer. I'll probably add some live rock in the section that is supposed to hold the bio-bale. I got a Pan World 50px pump that is running the whole thing. It's pushing water through 3/4" pvc and it's turned down using a ball valve so it doesn't return more water than my overflow with Durso Standpipe can drain into the sump. Then I added the Coralife digital powerstrip and even some under cabinet lighting with a hidden switch. I filled it last night, added about 10lbs of live sand (more sand on order) and a few pieces of live rock, both from an established tank, to get things moving right along. Right now it's a big cloudy mess so no pics of that yet.

2962639445_36aca26732_o.jpg

2963484476_e7ba6a45fa_o.jpg

2962639729_0f6983f971_o.jpg

2963484618_f701ab144a_o.jpg

2962656367_82d3608024_o.jpg

2962656415_cc7b8f0efd_o.jpg

2963501240_51b73d0d4e_o.jpg

2963501184_695ace59ca_o.jpg

2963501130_ca11122c64_o.jpg

2963501086_700cdc5148_o.jpg

2962656091_a5d1f92acf_o.jpg

i like the placement of the tank, but the only problem with it is that once you decide to go bigger (which will happen, i promise) youll have to find a new place

LOL, ya... actually the reason I went with this tank was because it fit the only space in my house that I could put a tank. Well, where it would look good, anyway. And the other thing is I used to have a 150g but it got to be too much, and after a few years I tore it down. That was several years ago. So this time I decided to do it on a smaller scale. Part of me wishes it was bigger, but overall this size is best for me right now. Our house has been remodeled since the big tank was taken down and it's now very open with little usable wall space. Here's a shot of the main living area... which is where i like to have my tanks so I can enjoy them, rather than hidden away in a bedroom or something. The tank right now is right on the very right hand side of this photo, just off the edge.

347376197_TqHxG-L.jpg

can I live there with you?

I don't understand how everyone is so damn good at building things and I have no clue. It must be that east coast people buy things instead of building things.

Nice place.
And the stand turned out super nice.
Let me know how that panworld pump works out.Cause hopefully it wont be to much longer till I'll be in the market for a new pump.

Thanks!

I'm liking the pump so far because it's QUIET! Just a low hum.
Oh, and that stand is the first thing I've ever built. Other than an ugly 2x4's workbench in the garage.
And I grew up in Westchester County, NY! ;)

Very nice job! Looks great.

How many gph does that pump push? I have an external Gen-X Mak4 and even tho it's in my basement, it's loud.

Thanks!
Here's the specs on the pump
http://www.panworldamericas.com/PX/60Hz/A3400322.pdf

I figure that after 5ft of upward travel and through several 90 degree elbows I should be getting about 420gph out of it. Whatever it is, it's way more than my overflow with Durso standpipe is able to siphon out of the tank. The ball valve after the pump is now shut close to half way.

Beautiful modern design to both the tank and home.They should both compliment each other well.

I'm curious on the Noise level of the Panworld pump too.I need a replacement for my super loud Mag.Keep the pics comings.

also what are your stocking plans

Well, I want to keep a variety of hard and soft corals.
Planning on something like a Nova Extreme Pro T5 lighting system.
For fish, i'm not sure. I'll only be able to fit a few so anything bright/colorful and reef friendly will work for me.
And then the usual cleanup crew type critters. Speaking of which... any suggestions for that? Best place to purchase? Suggestions for what to get and how much?
How long would you wait to add those?
Thanks!

Let the algae guide you on the clean up crew.You want just enough to keep up.I'd start with maybe 5 Astrea snails,5 to 10 Nassarius snails,and a couple of emerald crabs.You can always add more if you need to.
Liveaquaria is supposed to a good place to order from.

So since i just kinda winged the stand and that turned out ok, i went into the garage today and started work on figuring out the canopy. I've got the back and two sides done, and the frame work in the front which just needs to be skinned. Once that's done I can make the top. I'll post pics of the progress later tonite along with a couple pics of the tank progress.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of how to finish it and was thinking of painting the inside with KILZ and leaving it white to help reflect light into the tank. Would this be a good thing or should I paint it black? What about sealing the wood and protecting it from the saltwater? That's why I was thinking of using the kilz. Is that ok? If I paint it black on top of the kilz, what kind of paint should I use over the kilz? The outside I'll be staining ebony to match the stand.

Ok, cool... white it is. And I'll look for a sealant.
Thanks!

Here's the pics of what I have so far. This time I soaked the plywood in the tub for 20 minutes and then clamped it in place. That was much easier than bending it dry.
I also took a couple pics of the sump running and a couple shelves i put under the stand for a few accessories like my test kit and refractometer. Yes, I'm a dork. :mrgreen: You can also see where I put some live rock rubble on the right side of the sump where you would normally have the bio-bale.

I now have about 60 lbs of sand and 38 lbs of rock. The rock all came from other people's established aquariums.
The water is still cloudy since i've been moving stuff around.

403117281_XGMWX-O.jpg

403117327_QEQ9C-O.jpg

403117349_zLVag-O.jpg

403125379_oXpcp-O.jpg

403117437_jBTnf-O.jpg

403117631_YZhyj-O.jpg

Back