d2mini's 6g Not-So-Edgy "Fluval Edge" Tank of Leftovers

sadcat.jpg

Well... bad news. :(

The power went out in my office friday night and didn't come back on until saturday night. And then no one was here to get the pumps going again so it sat till monday morning. Short story even shorter, tank was a total loss. Especially with the death of the rose anemone. That literally nuked any chance anything had of surviving.

We got it cleaned out yesterday, leaving the rock and sand and some zoas that are closed but not totally melted. Did a massive water change. I do see one lone nassarius snail on the glass. Water is cloudy but getting clearer. I'm just gonna let it cycle for a few weeks and see how it goes. I'll do some more large water changes during that time too but I'm gonna have to go buy the water as my water making stuff isn't hooked up in the new house yet. Then eventually I'll get my new tank at the house setup use the leftovers again to get this one back on track. Ugh. What a waste. :(

Holy crap Dennis, sorry for your loss. I am sure you will have it back and looking amazing soon enough.

Dennis, what a bummer! That really sucks. What kind of flitration did you have in the tank? I ask because I know nems are hard to keep so I wondered if you had like a skimmer on there or something.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It pisses me off and everyone in the office is super bummed. Even though it was only 6g, it really gave people a little escape when they came by my office.

R3verb, no filtration other than the standard filter in the Edge. And my mp10 providing flow. This was fine, as I kept up with water changes. But once the nem died due to the power outtage, nothing else stood a chance.

ok, i think this thread is long overdue for an update!

Here's the tank before the total meltdown...

20120221-DSC1704.jpg

And here it is now.
I just let it sit for at least a month, did some big water changes and basically let it do its thing. I left all rock and sand but everything else was removed. When life started to come back i got a CUC. They did well so I got the fire shrimp and then finally a paired goby/pistol and black clown.
The coolest thing is that all that TBS rock completely recovered and started growing all kinds of cool macro algaes! Perfect for a nano. :D Even the little feather dusters and stuff came back.

20120912-DSC9106.jpg

20120912-DSC9107.jpg

20120912-DSC9108.jpg

20120912-DSC9109.jpg

20120912-DSC9112.jpg

20120912-DSC9115.jpg

20120912-DSC9116.jpg

20120912-DSC9128.jpg

20120912-DSC9111.jpg

This thing looks pretty cool. Are you trying to create a partial DSB on the left side there where the sand is super deep?

I've been thinking about buying a 5.5gal tank and doing something like this. I had considered partitioning off half the tank and making the display window what one of the sides would be he back half would have all the equipment and some chaeto in it and the front would just be simple with some colorful corals.

No, i think that's from the MP10. :mrgreen:
But it gives it some natural scape so I just left it.
My plan is to add a lot of zoas and stuff like that.

Thanks!

Back