d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Well, since my other thread failed miserably, I decided to start fresh so people didn't have to wait through 20 pages of muck before finally seeing anything substantial. Hopefully this thread won't turn into the utter travesty as well. :mrgreen:

SO.... let's recap... shall we?

Here's my original design for the tank and stand.

621454286_aMHct-L.jpg

I designed the stand to match our kitchen cabinets/backsplash.
We have an open floor plan and the tank will be near the kitchen. Here's a shot of our kitchen.

123511969_9LDKC-L.jpg

The backsplash is back-painted glass.
So I had an inset section built around the top of the stand that will allow me to apply some acrylic treated in the same fashion to give me a similar look.
It'll just add a little touch of extra sumfin-sumfin to the stand.

And here is where the stand is going... right where my wife had some useless chairs/tables/area rug. :nanananan

621437878_aiTPy-L.jpg

So I had the stand build bike a local reefer who is starting to do wood working projects on the side. He did a fantastic job.
It was his idea to do single large panel doors with no hardware instead of the split doors on my design.
We did doors on 3 sides and I left one side solid because I knew I'd want one wall to hang stuff on the inside. The acrylic strips will be one of the last things i do.
The Maté tea bottle is for scale. :mrgreen:

661624422_9cm8L-L.jpg

661624392_TtpzV-L.jpg

661624480_7agYy-L.jpg

661624459_cZiAN-L.jpg

I decided to go with one of the new i-Tech skimmers from the owner of FISH and other ICHTHY stuff in Florida. Check out their forums for more info.
i-Tech Forums - Powered by vBulletin
I went with the i-Tech 200 after speaking with the owner.

674479400_t7ssv-L.jpg

Other equipment has been trickeling in. One thing I'm excited about is the two Vortech MP40w powerheads and backup battery.

718439695_UYRD9-L.jpg

For this build I decided to buy these two American DJ power centers.
They are really inexpensive and will allow me to easily turn on or off any piece of equipment with the flick of a switch instead of searching for a plug and physically unplugging it.

706398017_3KGpf-L.jpg

Here's the power centers installed in the stand. I also layed down some cork on the floor and installed a fluorescent grow light on the ceiling.
At first I was just looking for a light that would let me see inside the stand, but then I found this one and I'm wondering if the light will be enough to grow some macro algae in the fuge.
The square on the cork in the back corner is room lighting coming into the stand from the hole that is cut in the top to allow for my plumbing.

732666318_6XrPQ-L.jpg

You can see how I mounted the power centers.
And I ran a power line from the nearest wall outlet that I tapped into and ran it into the base of the stand and then up the wall and (seen in the previous pic) over to this outlet.
So this outlet is where all my power comes from and it supplies the two power centers.

732666298_qnAmR-L.jpg

SO FINALLY... I have a tank! Well, sort of. This is a progress pic i took at the builder's shop.
I'll have more pics this week of the custom overflow and of the tank in my house and on the stand.
The second pic shows one bottom corner. It's a 3/4" base! And 1/2" sides. Starphire glass on all 4 sides, regular glass on the bottom.

732453409_mwnhP-L.jpg

732453411_GZtMy-L.jpg

So that's it for right now. More to come soon! :^:

Sweet! I absolutely love those power centers!!!! I like how each outlet plug has a separate on/off switch. I liked your other thread better. More entertaining than reading about a tank that's still not in your house LOL

Awesome, though!

LOL, ya well tuesday is delivery day and my time is limited during the week so i figured I'd get the bulk of this repost out of the way this weekend and all i have to do on tuesday/wednesday is add the new pics. :D

Dennis Im glad that you have a delivery date finally! Do me a favor and give us a review on the i-Tech skimmer asap. Im thinking of replacing my way oversized skimmer and I would like to go with a cone.

Dennis Im glad that you have a delivery date finally! Do me a favor and give us a review on the i-Tech skimmer asap. Im thinking of replacing my way oversized skimmer and I would like to go with a cone.

Ya I will. I can't wait to get that baby going.

So another project I finished up this weekend was moving my RO/DI setup from the laundry room to the garage. First pic shows how i had it inside the cabinets over the washer dryer. This was fine when all i needed for a water change for my 46g was about 10 gallons of water. I made it up in a kitchen sized garbage can. But now I needed something much larger so I went out and bought a 30-something gallon can from Lowe's but knew I needed to keep it in the garage. The laundry room is where you come into the house from the garage so what I did was run the tap water and waste water lines through the ceiling of the cabinets into the attic, then hooked right about 6 feet and back down through the ceiling into the garage. The RO/DI unit is now mounted on the outside of the laundry room wall in the garage. The water will go right into the garbage can with a float valve. Then I will have to get a long length of tubing to pump the water from the garage across the house to the tank. I'll probably reverse the pump to pump water out for a water change onto the driveway. And I changed all the filters while I was at it since they were about a year old.

OLD SPOT:
446213039_BZz56-L.jpg

NEW SPOT:
733378883_th7Xb-L.jpg

733378918_eiWD6-L.jpg

733378961_v76GF-L.jpg

i cant wait to see this tank with water in it. Could you possibly do a cleaner & more organized job? Dont think so. :Cheers:

Look what arrived today! :^:
My Aqua Photon Plus 1x250w HQI with 4x24" T5. This sucker is a tank! :shock:
I just need to figure out how I'm going to hang it.
I think I'm going to get the Sunlight Supply adjustable hanging kit.
And I need BULBS!

734916361_o5oSu-L.jpg

734916333_xaSpT-L.jpg

734916305_V6CQw-L.jpg

:bounce::bounce:I HAVE A TANK!!!:bounce::bounce:

He's still working on the custom overflow (trying to get time on the cnc machine next door while his is in repair) but it should go in over the next couple days. Meanwhile I can get started on some the plumbing while the silicone in the tank continues to cure.

We dropped it into the stand, and it's hard to tell in pic #2, but it JUST fits! You can't even get a finger nail in there! We were all like, "holy $!&#!!!" :shock: :bowdown: :lol:
BTW, this sucker was HEAVY. 4 of us moved it in. It's about 240lbs or so.

735778215_fH9RJ-L.jpg

735778245_zq3Zy-L.jpg

Back