d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Was wondering, because , well, after seeing these I am seriously thinking of switching over to LED (these in particular). I was thinking I could get away with 2 over a standard 120 without having any shadowing issues.

Ya, I think they say 24"x24" coverage per radion. That might be pushing it depending on your landscaping, but I could see that. Higher mounting spreads the light out more too.
You also have the option of mounting them lengthwise (short ends, end to end) if that helps.

I am thinking in canopy, they will be about 10" above the water line, so long ways would work best I think.
Have you noticed any color morphing after switching from MH? That is my only concern, I have seen way too many corals change color under LED.

Coolio, Dennis!! You should've decorated a rock w/ "Livingreefs.com" LOL Did you clean off the sand before they came in to shoot?

Fast, ya i did notice a couple sps change color a little.
Also noticed some stuff pop way more than before.

Wonton, I shoulda. haha
And my sand is always clean. Just had to clean the glass real good.

I've been pretty happy so far.
Since I've been involved since Beta, I've had to deal with a lot of software glitches and stuff while the bugs were worked out. The cool thing is they are constantly making software improvements and it's real easy to update. There's still a couple things I think need some work, but nothing that effects the livestock. The lights already have some nice features and the guys are constantly working to come up with new and improved stuff. Plus their customer service is second to none, which is nice to have when you are spending that kind of dough. So if you want to go LED, I would have a hard time not recommending them. No heat, quiet, color is totally customizable along with different programs. Ya, no going back for me, even though I think the perfectly setup MH/T5 combo still has a slight edge when it comes to overall visual color/shimmer.

Last edited:
The date is set. One week from saturday my tank gets moved to the new owner's shop.

So.... if I start bright and early in the morning, getting rock and livestock into buckets, will they be ok for several hours while we empty the tank, tear it down, move it, set it back up?

Yeah, they should be fine, just watch the temp of the water they are in. I've had my stuff in bins for upwards of 6 hours working on the tank with no issues.

You should be fine, like fast said, keep on the temp. I have used a little heater for a 15 gal tank before to try and keep the temp up in the buckets with the livestock.

Use disposable styrofoam coolers if you are in doubt -- they will insulate the temp better than a bucket.

Cool, i have a couple small ones. Good for fish.

I figure stuff gets shipped overnight in bags.
So i should be good for 5 hours or so in buckets. :dunno:

The bags are usually pumped with O2 so the fish can last longer during shipping. I have kept fish in buckets for half a day when I've moved tanks before.

Dennis, what are you using to hold the radions together? And are you using the radion hanging kit at all or is at all DIY?

What radion hanging kit? I didn't know they had anything yet.
It's just cut pieces of aluminum bar painted black and drilled so the holes line up with the mounting screws on the top of the radions. And then I use the sunlight supply hanging kit/wires attached to that. Same wire kit I was using on my old light. Pics in the beginning of this thread.

Back