Damaged tank!!!

edward1988

Reefing newb
I purchased a 150 gallon (4ftx2ftx2.5ft) tank/stand/sump/lighting everything up and running....Well in the process of moving the tank one of the corners got damaged near the bottom of the tank. The tank was empty at the time and it didnt go all the way through. Its about a 2" long section off the corner. I used silicone on the inside and J/B weld on the outside of the tank. I filled it up with saltwater, ran the sump and so far its been running for 2days with no leaks or problems. I had an aquarium service company out to look at the tank and the guy said he wouldnt touch it b/c of the damage, it might last 20 years, or 20 days. He said he doesnt want to be liable if it fails which I understand. Just looking for some insight on whats the best solution...should I trash the tank and start over or see how things go? I would hate to have everything set up and a year from now it starts leaking....or worse explodes and does a ton of damage to the house...Anyone have any experience with repairing a damaged tank?
Thanks allot!

I wouldnt risk it with a tank that big. 10 gallons, yes. 20 gallons, maybe. But 150 is a lot of stress on a properly made and sealed tank, let alone a repaired one.

I've had a 150 that i purchased from petsmart fail after about 1 1/2 years (bottom panel released). Its then one truly comprehends how much water 150 gallons is. Point is, when in doubt....would not risk it !

+1 everyone....that's not something you want to risk If just the frame is cracked, you could rip it off and order a replacement frame. If the glass is even a little cracked, though, over time it would be more trouble than its worth.

lots of new carpet....if 150 gallons of salt water dumped in your Living Room you would be shopping for lots of new carpet....

Back