Damn ICH !!!

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
my tank is almost 2 months old and i already have ich everything seemed great untill my LFS had a 50 off aniversary sale and i bought 3 new fish and after 1 week my fish have ich, anyone try the Organic Kordon ICH Attach its suppose to be reef safe?? their site says you have to turn off the skimmer and remove any carbon filtering, i dont have a QT tank any suggestions??? i am soaking their food in garlic. any advice, i read so many things that this works and some say it does not so many mixed reviews

Don't use any ich-be gone miracle cures ,they just don't work.....With that being said neither does garlic or vity C......Unless your willing to live with it and deal with the outbreaks as they show up...Alot of people do this...I am a Firm believer in QTing all new fish,i used to QT everything..but i have been bad,and put mushrooms in without QTing...They were in a coral only display with a UV,so i felt safe.
Back to your problem..You have ich,you always will,unless you let it die off.Some people refer to killing it,but i don't think you can kill it,you have to deny it of any hosts(fish) and let it die!This is the best option for your DT,IMO....hypo(which i have done) and copper are the only 2 proven methods of treatment.
Good luck

Last edited:
Any reef safe ich killing methods are not going to work. The only two proven methods to kill ich are hyposalinity and copper -- both of which require setting up a quarantine tank as you can't do either in the display. So your two choices are to set up a quarantine tank, catch all your fish and treat them for up to two months, or let your fish be and hope that they can get the ich under control on their own. If you take the second approach, your tank will always have ich, and your fish will always have ich, they just won't show symptoms or signs of it unless they get stressed. I have never quarantined any fish, I've never treated my fish for ich, and I've never lost a fish to ich in 10 years. But perhaps I'm lucky.

Don't use any ich-be gone miracle cures ,they just don't work.....k

I also have tried them (and still have a bunch of bottles stored away in the closet) but I believe that not only do they not work, I think they totally screw with the water chemistry and throw the tank into a total funk.

Any reef safe ich killing methods are not going to work. The only two proven methods to kill ich are hyposalinity and copper -- both of which require setting up a quarantine tank as you can't do either in the display. So your two choices are to set up a quarantine tank, catch all your fish and treat them for up to two months, or let your fish be and hope that they can get the ich under control on their own. If you take the second approach, your tank will always have ich, and your fish will always have ich, they just won't show symptoms or signs of it unless they get stressed. I have never quarantined any fish, I've never treated my fish for ich, and I've never lost a fish to ich in 10 years. But perhaps I'm lucky.

I totally agree with this. Could not have said it any better.

Back