Damsel and Maroon Clown?

Coletrickle

Reefing newb
I started cycling my tank with a yellow belly damsel. I later added a percula clown and the damsel would only bother him if he went near the damsels cave. The clown stayed on the other side and never seemed to be bothered. After about 2 weeks the clown started loosing his color and died. Water conditions all good, not real sure what happened. Well I later added a Maroon Clown wich is slightly larger than the damsel and the damsel beat the $%^# out of him. I rearanged the rocks and he still did it. I through him in the fuge and think I will take him back to the LFS. Why does he pick on the larger Maroon clown and not the smaller percula? Threatened by his size, didn't see the percula as a threat?

P.S. Maroon Clown is fine now.

The more establish the damsel became the more aggressive it will become to new fish.The damsel and percula were added at the same time,or close to the same time?.It wouldn't matter if it was another damsel,maroon or even another percula.It's going to attack whatever aggressively unless its a fish that isn't easily intimidated.

Damsels do not do well in community tanks, period. They will be aggressive towards pretty much any other fish, regardless of its size. Your damsel seems to be extra mean, and I think that this aggressive behavior will continue with any fish that you try to add. The stronger ones will fight back (but will be stressed), but anything short of another damsel or clown will probably end up dead. If you are happy with the fish you have, you can stick with them, but if you want to keep adding more fish, I'd suggest removing the aggressors and finding them a new home.

Back