Damsel Fish question

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I have a yellow tail Damsel Fish. These guys, in general, have a bad reputation. I have not had any problems with mine at all. One of the nicest fish I have ever had. Since my FF died and I have some room in my tank, I was wondering if it was possible to add more of these? I have room for 3, possibly up to 5. What are the chances they would get along with my existing Damsel Fish? Could they, or do they, gang together and beat up other fish? I'm not worried about my Maroon Clowns or my Flame Angel, but my Chromis and Royal Gramma might be a problem. The RG is actually a lot bigger than the Damsel and it hasn't had a problem with any of the fish.

So, what ya think? More Damsels?

Ihave 3 different damsels in my 55 gallon. The Blue damsel and the yellow tail damsel get along but my 3 stripe damsel is twice the size of them and chances the yellow tail if it gets too close but it's really hasn't been a problem.

I don't know, I kind of think its a crap shoot. There is a good chance that adding a few more of them will cause them to gang up on the existing one or on the chromis. Or maybe they will all get along. If you do it, I would add enough so that you end up with an odd number and I would add ones that are either similar size as your existing one or slightly smaller. At one point I was thinking of trying to add more chromis to my existing lone guy and decided I didn't want to risk it. Personally with a 90g I think I'd go in a different direction than more damsels since you have so many options!

Even in a 90 with only 3 they eventually beat up on each other until the strongest survived. I'm with Fishy that it's a crap shoot.

Actually "Damsel Fish" or "Damselfish" (Both are correct) is the correct nomenclature for them. A "Damsel" is a young unmarried woman. Now, not that I have any objections to young unmarried women, I don't think one would be happy in a 90 gallon fish tank! I could be wrong though........ to each his/her own.

Back