Damsel In Distress!

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Just went to feed the fishies. My 3-stripe damsel - Domino - was missing from the 29g frag tank!! :shock:

I ran and grabbed a flashlight. Lots of foul language........ I was crawling around on my hands and knees under the tank. I suspected he'd taken a carpet surfing jump and expected to find him flopping around on the floor - or dried out and dead. Couldn't find him ANYWHERE. Looked in the fuge - not in there. Looked in the overflow - not in there.

I turned off the return pump and waited for all the water to stop draining. Shined my flashlight in the overflow..........

Little bugger was in the overflow!! :grumble: He had to jump pretty high out of the water to get in the overflow - thank god for that strainer or he'd have gone right down the bulk head and ended up in the drain lines somewhere....... never to be found.

He's grounded. :nono:

Those stories are always wonderful. Reminds me of when my blenny did the same thing, although I didn't see him the first time I looked so he lived in there for around 3 weeks!

Its always a big sigh of relief when you find out you somehow lucked out with the overflow instead of the damn floor.

My clowns like to do this every couple months or so.

Glad you found her. But the rules are that if you rescue a damsel in distress, you must marry her and live happily ever after in her castle:mrgreen:

Lenny my lawnmower blenny did the same thing. Except he sadly did not survive the ordeal :( He was alive when I rescued him, but he was so skinny that his bones were poking out... I don't know how long he'd been in the overflow, but it had to have been a couple weeks at least. I immediately put him back into the tank, he swam into a rock, and I never saw him again :cry: I guess it was all too much for him. I'm glad that your fish fared better.

Domino is under strict - no jumping - orders from now on.

I don't need the STRESS!! :mrgreen:

I hate to reinforce bad behavior with food - but it IS feeding time and I feel bad for him. Extra blood worms today. We'll celebrate the rescue but I still can't condone the jumping. :nono:

BAD Domino!! Bad!! Bad!! Bad!!

Have some extra food little buddy........ :h5:

Lesson for the day. Always check your overflow first :)

:lol: You're absolutely right Winy!!

I haven't had a jumper since my very 1st 6-line wrasse over 2yrs ago. Who would have thought a damsel would jump into the overflow? He's got a whole 29g tank all to himself - why would he want out?

I panicked and assumed the worse when I discovered the fish was missing. Next time I'll skip the crawling around on the floor on my hands and knees with a flash light. I'll check the overflow box first. :Cheers:

HAHAH
I used to have a mandrine that would dive into the overflow of my old 75.I'd fish him out and a week later he'd be back in there.But he was always nice a fat from all the bugs.I finally traded him because I got tired of fishing him out every few weeks.

Glad you found her. But the rules are that if you rescue a damsel in distress, you must marry her and live happily ever after in her castle:mrgreen:

Watch it! You're starting to sound like Dcan!! :shock: :mrgreen:

So far, I've been lucky that I haven't had any jumpers...although, while I was away, my brother in law who was pet sitting for me found one of the clowns had jumped into my overflow area. I've never seen him or any other critters do that before. Never happened again. Maybe he missed me!

Back