Dangerously Low PH?

tonyg

Reefing newb
I had a peppermint shrimp die today as described in the invert forum. This prompted me to test my water again.

Temp 79 - 81
Spec Grav .025
Calcium 400
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .10? (I can't say its zero but its far from .25 which is the first reading on the color chart I have)
PH - 7.8 (tested with the lousy API test and again with a red sea test, same results)

I did these tests right after the main light went out for the day, shouldnt the PH be at its highest?

I always use the real ocean water that comes in boxes from petco. I tested some of the water straight out of the box (cold and dark) and it is a solid 8.

I am diligent about doing weekly water changes.

How worried should I be? Should I start daily water changes right away to try and correct this?

Thank you for any advice.

What is your alk and do you use a buffer?

The Alk seems low too.

Looks to be 1.5 - 1.6. Though this is my least favorite test, It uses a gradient that seems to make it a bit vague. Its hard to be exact, but for sure on the low side. I do have a small bottle of red sea success buff, but have never used it. The only thing I use is purpleup. Even though I have tons of coraline, it seems to help maintain a good calcium level.

I will test PH again in the morning, but I don't expect it to be terribly different, the light on my fudge runs opposite my main light, which I think is supposed to help keep a stable ph.

I would ditch the purple up, it's nothing more than an extra expensive Ca+ supplement. I would invest in a quality Calcium reactor, or at least use regular liquid Calcium 2 part solution from bulk reef supply.

I would ditch the purple up, it's nothing more than an extra expensive Ca+ supplement. I would invest in a quality Calcium reactor, or at least use regular liquid Calcium 2 part solution from bulk reef supply.

I agree, however I got a big bottle of the stuff at the recommendation of the LFS when I first started and just figured I would finish it off. I'm sure not going to buy any more.

I tested the ph again this morning and the results are the same, still reading a 7.8.

So thats not too low? Not low enough to cause shrimp death?

No it's not, 7.8-8.4 is acceptable. Stability is the most important factor.

It seems like water issues were not the cause of death for my shrimp then.

The water i use for changes tests higher before its in my tank. What could cause it to drop?
If anything i would expect it to rise a bit once its added.

Should I use a buffer to increase alk?

Back