David's 65 Gallon Reef tank Project!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
A little story - I got interested in Marine and Reef tanks when I realized how much was available as 'tank raised' and 'aquacultured'. After some research, I got a little JBJ 28 g - CF, and visiting my LFS, I was pointed in the direction of a relatively new reef store, ABC Reefs, in Syracuse. The guys are great there, I'd ask, 'Can I buy this?' and they'd say, 'Not yet!' Time goes by and We're ready for coral and go to their annual Frag Swap. We bought a few beginner corals and a raffle ticket and went on our way.

We got a call that night and we won the grand prize! :bounce: A 65 gallon set-up, tank stand, canopy, koralia - 4 pump , nice heater, 40lbs aragamax, and more, AND a $100 gift certificate!

All I could say was, Uh Oh, be careful what you wish for!

So, with all our nickels put in the 28 gallon, the 65 was on hold, but now I'm starting to piece things together, at least on paper.

The tank is drilled, and soon to be painted. I'm going to use a 20 gallon long for the sump, as that will fit nicely in the cabinet. I think I'll set it up with a refugium in mind, better that, than wanting it later and setting up dividers, right?

I will set this up as a reef tank, probably leathers and LPS, and an ORA fish collection. I'll get about 100 lbs of base rock and supplement with LR from my other tank.

My first question, What is a good skimmer for the 85 gallons +? I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a noisy, marginal skimmer either.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers! :Cheers:

I love my Reef octopus skimmer. it pulls out so much schmagma. yeah they are a little pricier but ive seen lot of they on CL used for much less....

Wow! That's an awesome way to come across a tank!

I also recommend Octopus skimmers. They are on the cheaper end (price wise) but blow other skimmers away when it comes to quality. Very good value for the dollar.

Thanks all! Actually, we bought a single ticket, a good month before, figuring we would be supporting our new LRS (local reef store!), I bought water and an green abalone also. I paid with my debit card. The owner apologetically said the $5 tickets were cash only. I only had $2 and my wife coughed up the other $3! A month later, we get our frags, an don't give the raffle any thought.

We're watching 'The Changling' that night and are well into it when the phone rings! I almost didn't answer, but it was the familiar voice of one of the shop owners with the good news!

So now the predicament! Where to put it! Already have the 28g nanocube and 55 freshwater upstairs!

Somethings gonna have to move!

Wow! That's an awesome way to come across a tank!

I also recommend Octopus skimmers. They are on the cheaper end (price wise) but blow other skimmers away when it comes to quality. Very good value for the dollar.

Thanks Sarah. After posting I visited my store for my weekly watering (no RODI at home...yet), and asked them the same. They use in house the CRC SR2 and SR4's, pulling our the blue plastic in them. I can get a lightly used one with pump for about $85 (with a brand new pump). It looks reasonable, but I really don't know! New they are about 130 and 160 for the bigger one.

I'm a ways off for set up, but I'm going on a fact finding mission here at my favorite site! :D

Thanks again!

So it's been a year since we won the tank and we have now saved up enough nickels to start! Yay!

Well, here's what not to do. This is from another post of mine!

Hi all!
Back after a long hiatus! I currently have a JBJ28 gallon nanocube (very unhappy with JBJ right now! ask me later!), but am ramping up to set up a 65 gallon tank. My local reef store had a frag sale last november (and one coming up november 20, if your in syracuse area!), and my wife and I won the grand prize! A basic 65 gallon setup and a gift certificate! Yay!
All I needed was a sump, skimmer and eventually upgrade lighting for it.

So being new, I used my gift certificate and had one of the guys come over to drill the tank and put in the overflow box and return lines. Now I know how to do that! When the weather got better, I painted the back. Several coats, looks great! Just recently we decide it's time to get going and I had a sump made for me and have leveled the stand and started filling the tanks.

So over the last few days I keep adding RODI water as fast as I can make it. This morning it was about 3/4 full, 20 gallon sump too! Have it all nicely plumbed Need about 10 more gallons of water before I turn things on. Great!!

Then I notice a little bead of water down the stand. The tank was half full for 2 days and I hadn't noticed anything. But today I found a leak. A very, very slow leak... Appears to be a back corner, fills up the plastic bottom frame, and fills that area all around the tank.

So, how many of you have NOT checked your brand new tank for leaks?! Well, this is my first time.

So, how easy is it to fix the leak? I'm draining and drying as we speak. What a maroon I am!

I'm thinking it can only get better!

OK, the cool guys at the reef store came over and resealed the tank, no charge! It's been full for 24hrs and I think we're good. If not they said give a call. Can I shout out their store name here? There is an upcoming Frag Swap going on there in two weeks.
They run a quality business.

Glad to hear you got the leak resolved. It's time to get it on now!
Not so fast, dcan! I fear I still have a leak. The bottom right corner is slightly damp. I don't know if it's residual wicking out from water trapped in the frame, or if I have a painfully slow leak still. Just talked with the shop and we agreed to keep it filled for another day or two... Keep your fingers crossed for me! I have it running with the sump and return pump just to 'field test' everything. WHy didn't I do this 11 months ago before I drilled and painted the tank!!!! :frustrat: LOL and LAL (live and learn, did I just make up a text thing?!)

I do that a lot. LAL
Seems when you think you have learned not to make a certain mistake another one pops up.:frustrat:

Fingers crossed for you. :x:

SO the bad news and the good news. The tank still leaks, ever so slowly. The good news, the proprietors or the store will drill me a new one, no cost!! Can I drop their store name here? Let me just say they are the only exclusive reef shop in Syracuse, NY. :)
I just attended their 3 annual Frag sale last saturday. Got some nice small stuff, in anticipation of growing up in the 65 G some day!

Sweet! ABC Reefs in Syracuse, NY. Owners Tim and Dave, and a great staff do a fine job there. Between the folks here on LR and ABC, I've learned a lot, with only small stumbles along the way (so far!). SO, if you're ever in the 'Cuse, look them up!
ABC Reefs

Thanks!

Great job, lucky you have a good LFS to look after you especially when they are happy to redrill you a new tank!

Looking forward to seeing this get going :D

Dave at ABC Reefs is coming to swap out the tanks! How great is that! Woohoo! All I'll need to do is paint it. I'll have to use a brush or roller. It's winter now, no place for me to spray paint. Can I use a fast drying acrylic? It will possibly come tonight, but probably tuesday!

I think some people have had good success rolling on a latex paint. That way, you can peel it off easily if you change your mind down the road.

Back