dcantucson Deco Contest

I just read what you wrote in Tanked's thread ... maybe the mods should change the thread titel to Dcantucson's imaginary Deco Contest lol

Haha, I really wanted to enter because I thought it would be fun and cool and I'm super competitive ... but then I thought about it and two tanks is a lot of maintenance I couldn't handle a third and a contest lol

I hear you. I've been working on redoing my Zero (since it drained and I lost everything) and now the Nano too. Only so much one can handle.

David, I've got a big tank, and I've had nano-sized tanks too.... but I'm finding new things to learn about this pico tank too. Just something to think about. :)

Thanks Amanda. I spent yesterday breaking down the Nano since Bubbles the puffer passed. Cleaned it all up and got fresh SW going to cycle it.

Today we went to the LFS and bought a bunch of Live Rock for the 12 gal Nano and I had a piece left over. Humm...... So I decided to put it in the Deco with a couple of other rocks from the Zero and get er wet! So I guess I'm officially in the contest.

Pictures to follow.

Well, I hate to be the barer of bad news but...

Several days ago I placed my pH probe into the Deco and found my level to be at 7.8 So I got a wild hair and decided to mix up some Seachem Reef buffer and raise that pH up. After a treatment or three over the course of the week, I raised it up slowly to 8.2 Perfect!!! So I thought...

My water cleared up quickly but I was left with this thick white ring around the tank and a thin layer all over the rest of the tank. I thought it would easy to wipe off but it didn't. I transfered everything to a bucket and took the tank to the sink to wash it off. No luck. :( So I used an acrylic scrapper on it. Got it off but it left a bunch of scratches everywhere. I mean a lot of scratches.

Okay I thought, I'll just take my handy dandy Scratch Removal Kit to it. So after about an hour or more of sanding and then polishing it now looks likes frosted glass. :lol: :frustrat:

So I will probably be withdrawing from the contest unless I order a new tank, but I hate to do that. Guess I'll think a bit longer on that.

BTW who the hell wanted to get the acrylic tanks instead of the glass ones? :frustrat: Oh yeah, me. Be careful of what you wish for. :lol:

wow David, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I've got one big scratch across the front of mine... not even sure what it is from, but I had hoped this wouldn't be so sensitive to scratching.

I need to design a fish-safe antiscratch coating for acrylic...

don't drop out!

That sucks David, but I'm sure it's not that bad. My tank got completely scratched up on the day I set it up -- just from the sand being blown around, it seems. I hate acrylic!!! :grumble:

Back