dead and dieing fish

Joeysmissy

Reefing newb
Im not sure if this is in the right catagory in the forums...Last weekend I bought three new green chomis. I noticed that the old Chromis I had in there was kind of bullying them. It would chase them if they got to close to it. Sometimes it would just chase them even if they were not anywhere near it. I made sure that the three fish were the same size as the other one when I bought them because I didnt want It to kill the new fish. Yesterday I noticed a pretty big gash on the side of one of my new fish. Today one of my fish died but it was not the same one with the cut. The one that died had like a red dot sort of like blood on the side and one of its eyes were missing. I also noticed something that looked like a worm made out of debris laying beside it right by the red dot. Now the one that still has a cut on it is still alive but isnt swimming straight. its sort of like at an angle. The third fish is the biggest of the three new ones and he seems to be doing ok with the old fish. I dont know if the bully fish is killing them. When i first got my tank set up I had two green chromis and only one survived ( the bully). Can anyone chime in with there opinion?

Last edited:
For a fish thats supposed to hardy,chromis are pretty touchy.
The bully could have killed them.I've seen it happen before.

It's most likely that they were not added at the same time. A chromis is a damsel even though usually pretty nice. To keep em from fighting you should add them all to the tank at the same time. Like if you want to add more in take those 2 fish out and put em in another tank for a week or so then when you put new chromis in reintroduce them at the same time. This way none of em will be king fish and they will all be new bettering the chance they will get along.

thats good advise but..how does that explain how the first one died? In the beginning I bought two and they were put in the tank at the same time but still one died leaving the bully alive.

You have a 29 gallon tank that has been set up for one month? You started with two fish, one died, so then you added three more?

You will not be able to keep more than 3 or 4 small fish in a 29 gallon tank. And in a new tank, you need to leave at least 3 weeks in between additions. Add one fish, wait 3 weeks. Add another fish, wait 3 weeks. I don't know if you adding too many fish too fast is what caused them to die, but it certainly wouldn't have helped if they were being stressed by a bully.

actually its about to be two months next week

ok im not going to the same LFS anymore because i asked an employee if its ok to add this much livestock at one time...i told him its a 29 gal new tank..told him how long its been set up and what it has in it..he said its all right..nothing should happen and it shouldnt add stress...they told me that if i want i can put more fish

so should i take the two remaining new ones back? well that is if the one with the cut doesnt die. or maybe take all including the bully back?

I just noticed something that looks like Aiptasia growing in one of the crevices on a rock. its way to small to get a good look at it. would it hurt if i move the rock so that i can get a better look? (i mean not taking it out of the water)

yeah..its still to hard to tell..it looks like a white circle with brown tenticles that are kind of all over the place. i know what Aiptasia looks like but i cant tell if this is what im looking at. could this be what is harming my fish?

Yeah, I started my tank with adding a Green Chromis along with my CUC.

So I have to deal with it bullying any new fish I put in >.<!

So far just a few clowns but even during feeding he owns the top of the tank and chases the clowns off if they try to go up to grab a piece... he never really has left marks on em and only chases em off once in a while.

Since I'm adding another clown tonight I was wondering, what if I quarantined the chromis while I added the new fish, or put him in a specimen (hang on side) container for a few hours after I added new fish? Maybe he would be less territorial that way?

Back