dead blue leg

morpheus

Reefing newb
yesterday i found one of my blue legged hemit crabs dead without a shell i dont know of anything in my tank that would harm it. (a blue damsel a turbo snail, 6 blue legs, one scarlet legged hermit, one brown w/white stripe legged hermit, and a banded coral shrimp.) do hermit crabs compete over shells even if there are plenty in the tank?

Crabs and shrimp molt inorder to grow.

Are you sure it just isn't an exoskeleton? Is there meat inside the shell?

Yes it will still have the color.

If it looks empty inside then your ok, if it looks like there is meaty tissue inside, he probably died.

Brandon

The little guy probably molted. There molt will also look just like the crab just without all of the meat hangin out the back. Honestly if nothing has eaten what is still there by now, it more than likely was just a molt.

Wow! I was bummed out about losing my crab as well but you guys naild it. It's just the legs...soooo......where is he and what is he going to do for a shell? I've got some empty shells I got at the LFS but they are likely too big for the little guy.....help!

He will need to find a shell within a few days or he is toast. If you can, hit your LFS and see if you can find a few shells that are more his size. He is most likely hiding out in the rocks, looking for a new home. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Somebody dug up an old thread...

When a hermit molts doesn't necessary mean they need a new shell yet.If a hermit is ejected from his shell or can't find one big enough they may go after a snails shell,find a larger shell or die.

daugherty said:
I have seen some of my blue legged crabs fight each other for shells i have also seen them kill my snails for shells.
ive had that war at my tank too...what i do is i put in some empty shells of different sizes so they can change when grow...and i have notice less kills..but crabs are opportunistic eaters..and snails are a good source of food..so theyll munch on them somtimes, no matter if theres a good shell supply...

i thought i had lost my little hitchhiker crab but must have just been the molt, i saw him last night. I have already seen the war been snails and crabs for the shells, i have a crab crawling around in one my Astria snails shell (think thats what there called). time to buy some assorted size shells.

Back