Dead Brittle Star

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I've had this Brown Brittle Star for over a year. We transferred all the fish from a 46 to a 90 gal. tank. Today, the Star was dead. Looks like something had been eating on him. The only fish we added was a Red Scooter Blenny and 10 crabs. Those small ones. Would they eat him ? He was doing fine till today.

Thanks......

Did you acclimate the star to the new tank?
Even when you use most of the water from the old tank,the chemistry is still different,and that can be fatal to inverts if their not acclimated to it.

Yes, I acclimated all the fish. We had bowls everywhere with fish in them. Kept adding the new tank water to the old. Every 15 minutes for an hour and a half.

Well, now I can't find my Long Spine Sea Urchin. How do you lose something that big ?????? And yes !!!! I still think the gang of crabs have something to do with his disappearance !!!!!! Why is this happening ....

PH - 8.8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

That PH is high isn't it ? I just checked my freshwater, it's 7.5. Why would the saltwater be so high ? It's 9 out of my tap.

The salt level is fine, I wouldn't mess with it. It's definitely not problematic.

The pH is high. Are you sure your test kits are accurate? How old are they? And what kind are they (the dip stick kind or the dropper kind)?

They are about a year old. Dropper kind. Can I use the freshwater test kit to test the saltwater ? I did have to top off today, I was reading another forum about the water getting too hot. So, I put a fan on the filter. It did lower the temp. My water went up to 90*. I put the fan on it, it's down to 82 - 84. I have to top off every other day or so. Would that cause the PH to rise ?

Well, 90 degree temps will kill everything in your tank. I think you found your problem. I'm surprised that you didn't see more deaths... I'm not sure what would have caused your pH to spike, but you should get some buffer to bring it back down, and really focus on getting your temps stable.

Back