Dead chocolate chip starfish

saltwaterliz

Reefing newb
When I came home yesterday I saw my starfish all torn up an dead with two of his/her limbs off and torn up . I wondered if it was bristle worms

No, bristleworms would not do that. Chances are it got into a powerhead and got torn up and then your bristleworms, hermits, snails, etc...got to consuming it, as that's their job.

I am not quite sure I will have to have my dad check it . I wanted a salt water fish tank from watching the show tanked. But I had 2 shrimp and I have 1 cleaner shrimp I have to clown fish I have 1 green blue chromis I had a goby I also had a wrasse but the male died a while ago and the female went missing 1 to 2 days ago

How big is the tank?

How long has it been set up?

Did you cycle before you added anything?

How much live rock do you have?

What have you lost so far?

What is your stock list now and how long have they been in the tank?

+1 Kyle.
you'll need to provide A LOT more information. Things that you should know. All your water parameters.
Did your tank cycle? How do you know?
Did you read through the articles on this site?
This hobby is MUCH different than freshwater and unfortunately those tv shows don't do the hobby justice as they give a false representation of what it takes to have a saltwater tank.

I
+1 Kyle.
you'll need to provide A LOT more information. Things that you should know. All your water parameters.
Did your tank cycle? How do you know?
Did you read through the articles on this site?
This hobby is MUCH different than freshwater and unfortunately those tv shows don't do the hobby justice as they give a false representation of what it takes to have a saltwater tank.
I will have my dad check it when he gets home from work. I have lost a male wrasse a green blue chromis my female wrasse has gone missing too also I had lost a goby I also had a little critter come with my live rock lucky we got the emerald crab out they think that is what killed our goby .

Emerald crabs usually won't go after anything that isn't already dead or dying. They are part of the clean up crew.

Please take a look at the articles to help you get going on the right track.
https://www.livingreefs.com/articles/

Have you or your dad been doing water changes?

Don't take this the wrong way, but if your tank has been set up this long you should know what all your parameters are. These are something you should always be testing for. Especially the salt level since you should be doing water changes. And please tell us you are not using tap water?

I'm only a t
Emerald crabs usually won't go after anything that isn't already dead or dying. They are part of the clean up crew.

Please take a look at the articles to help you get going on the right track.
https://www.livingreefs.com/articles/

Have you or your dad been doing water changes?

Don't take this the wrong way, but if your tank has been set up this long you should know what all your parameters are. These are something you should always be testing for. Especially the salt level since you should be doing water changes. And please tell us you are not using tap water?
I'm only a teenager my dad does all the stuff yes and we do weekly water changes

Ok, good well let's get those water tests done and take it from there.

Good on you btw for coming on here to get some answers. :cool:

FWIW, there was a kid that used to come in my old store all the time. He was 12. And probably one of the best fish-keepers I've ever known.

Being able to name fish and being able to care for them are two different things.

Knowing how to care for your animals is the most important thing. And that starts with testing parameters.

My nine year old does it for his betta tank. I promise it's not hard.

Back