Dead fish

Hkp7

Reefing newb
I have had a rough start with the hobby of saltwater fishkeeping. I am the first to admit I went into this hobby blindly and listened to some of the wrong people without doing research for myself. I want to say thanks for the help I have been given on this site because a lot of information everyone gave me has helped me fix a lot of my mistakes. My water is now crystal clear and most of my algae growth problem has been under control. I still have a couple of questions about water. I am not sure how all this cycling business works and I am reading up on it today. If you look at my threads from when I first came to this site, you will see I had way too many fish in my 46 gallon tank. I have removed four of the fish and took them back to the pet store. The other day my powder brown tang suddenly died and now this morning my flame angle died. My water has been reading better than it was before and I am curious if or what parts of my water parameters could be deadly or if these fish just died for whatever reason. My water is Nitrite 0.1, Phosphate 0, Alkalinity 1.6, Nitrate 25-5.0, Ammonia 0.25, Salinity is a little high at 1.026. I am using a sump with a 1000 gallon per hour pump, a built in skimmer, a 9w uv sterilizer, a 10 by 8 floss pad for filtration which I change twice a week, the overflow prefilter I rince out once a week, my temp is 80-82 degrees with the light on and I am not sure what it is with the light off. So far I do not use a heater and was wondering if the tank is getting cold at night and the temp fluctuation is shocking the fish to death, but I know I keep the inside of the house at 74 degrees 24/7. Or if maybe the salt being a couple of points higher than what it should be (which I am changing immediatly) could be a problem. Thanks again and I appreciate any help. Bill.

All your parameters look good (ammonia and nitrite should be 0 but are still within low stress levels), but the first question that came to mind would be where you are getting your water for your water changes and for rinsing the prefilters?

Last edited:
First off you shouldnt have a powder brown in a tank that small, that could have stressed it out because of no swimming room.

What I see first off is your nitrite and ammonia. They both should be at 0 after your cycle and those could have a hand in the death of your fish.
The salinity is fine where it is.

Also what phroger said, are you using RO/DI water?

I am using all RO water but not RODI and I am cleaning the prefilter sponge with tapwater. Also my livestock right now is a small yellow tang, a clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, a small hermit crab and a dime size emerald crab. Also I know my live rock is insufficiant at around 20lbs or so.

First thing - stop rinsing the prefilter in tap water. Use the RO water as you might still be introducing chemicals into the tank. Next - did the fish show any sign of disease? White spots or a fading in color before they died? And last before anybody else chastises you, a yellow tang was not a good decision for your size tank as it will grow rapidly and needs LOTS of swimming space. :) I know they are beautiful but its only fair to them to let them have the space they need.

Yeah that Tang is a huge bioload...I bet if you got rid of the tang your ammonia level would be at zero. I would also get about 30 more pounds of cured LR asap.

omg your going way to fast its 1000% ur nitrite and amoinia whats killing ur fish and sorry to be negative but the comments by phroger hes said your readings are ok sorry mate there not, it shoud be zero ammonia and nitrite zero yur trying to keep sensitve fish whats that not easy in the best conditions your tank is way to small and you have been listening to the wrong advice

Well, the best thing in the hobby is that nothing is ever permeant! Hkp7 you can always back up, regroup, and start again anew. We have all done it! Even with the best advice shit happens. Don't let it get you down! :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

im not geting at you mate its happened to as all but slow down the key is patience i bet this has all happened in the last 6 week from setup

I'm guessing there was a stress issue with the the yellow and the powder brown.
Before you do anything else,take a water sample to your LFS and them double check the ammonia and nitrites.
Also,what brand test kits are you using?

The tank size in and of itself could explain the tang's death, as others have said. Your tank is really too small for any tangs, as they get stressed super easily and are very prone to disease. Nitrites and ammonia at any level but zero can be dangerous to animals, so if your test kits are accurate, that's a good explanation there too. I think if you add more live rock and take some time stocking the tank (add no more than one fish every 3 to 4 weeks), you should get things in line soon enough.

I would still be looking for signs of disease or stress. The tang (which everybody seems focused on) is a sensitive fish but the flame angel is a little more hardy and should survive a small spike. The levels tested may also be attributed to having a dead fish in the tank for even just a few hours if it wasn't found and removed right away. I do agree that a water change should be done and much more rock added for helping with the filtration.

Since yesterday, my fish are showing signs of disease. The yellow tang has a white powdery coating and the clown fish has the same coating. The clown is acting funny and both fish keep swimming into the current of the power head. The yellow tang is utilizing the cleaner shrimp, the clown is not. Is there a medication for this?

It almost sounds like Velvet. Its a parasite commonly compared to Ich but is much smaller and makes the fish look like it has a white powdery coating. There are common treatments that should be available at the LFS but most contain copper and should be used outside the main tank. In addition it helps to raise the tank temp (slowly) to 80-83 degrees. The most common cause of this parasite to spread through the aquarium is overcrowding and/or poor water conditions. If anybody else disagrees, please let Hkp7 know.

i think your gonna be firghting a losing battle mate. as you cant treat the tank with medication dont give up mate let this be a lesson. as ive said before the key to keeping marines is patients good luck and keep as posted if i was you i would contact my lfs see if they have a qurantine tank for the fish

Good luck! You are definately going to want to get yourself a QT. Do not put any meds in your display tank if you hope to ever keep any coral!

Back