Dead fish

That is kinda high, but if you are testing with an API kit I would double check that reading against another kit because that type of kit goes bad pretty frequently for that test (calcium too).

However, that wouldnt cause the fish to die.

That is kinda high, but if you are testing with an API kit I would double check that reading against another kit because that type of kit goes bad pretty frequently for that test (calcium too).

However, that wouldnt cause the fish to die.

well i am using an API test kit. I am going to take my water to the LFS today to get it tested by them.

I am just super confused now...if all the parameters are ok then why did the fish die?

i checked the ammonia the day of the death and it was 0. :frustrat::frustrat:

either your tank hasn't cycled, there wasnt enough oxygen (my personal bet) or sometimes fish dont make it and we just dont know why.

I agree, that isn't much movement. If those fish arrived the same day you bought them then that would mean they were in at least three tanks in one or two days and the stress could of been just too much for them.

I checked with the store fish had been there for a week.

I have two hudor 550 what more do I need? Can u guide me on the placements of power head please?

I disagree yall..you can tell on that video that there is surface agitation from the powerfilter and from a powerhead. You have not mentioned a protein skimmer on the tank or if you have a sump. Movement from the overflow and the protein skimmer stripping stuff from the water also helps with oxygenation. If their was a oxygen issue I would think it would be from the time in the bag. I know you said you floated the bag for 45 minutes (seems a bit long 15 would do it for temp) How long was the drive from the fish store? Lets say it was close so for the sake of a guess another 15 minutes. Thats a hour for a fish in a small sealed bag of water. That would be the cause for a lack of oxygen. Not the tank...

I agree with Ted. I think it was acclimation issues. One hour is not all that long in the bag depending on how it was bagged up. I think it's more likely that the way the fish was acclimated was too stressful on it.
Fish, Coral, and Invertebrate Acclimation Procedure: Adding New Fish to a Tank

I prefer the drip method. I leave my fish in the bag but I roll the top of the bag down a bit to make sure it doesn't fold over on itself and interrupt air getting to the water in the bag, then I remove about a quarter to half of the LFS water and discard. Then I start my drip at about 1 drip per second until the bag is as full as it was, discard half of that , up my drip to 2 per second until full again, then pour the fish into a net and discard all remaining water. Happy fish into the tank :D

Well I think it was my acclimation method.

I live 15 minutes from the store and might have expedited the acclimation process. There is no sump but the water movement is plenty.

I introduced a damsel last night and it been almost 20 hours...she is doing fine and eating too. I pray she lives a long and prosperous life. :D

This time I did the acclimation right! Thanks for all your feedback and advice, I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

You are very welcome. Be aware that damsels are quite aggressive and may make it difficult for you to add any less aggressive fish after him. Im glad to hear it is doing well.

You are very welcome. Be aware that damsels are quite aggressive and may make it difficult for you to add any less aggressive fish after him. Im glad to hear it is doing well.

Yes...that's what the LFS said but he also offered to trade them back when I am ready to add corals and more easy going fishes later.

Good luck getting him out the tank. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get a fish out of a tank, which is why you should only ever put in fish that your tank is their intended forever home.

I started off with 3 damsels and I had to remove every single rock in my tank to get them out.

Good luck getting him out the tank. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get a fish out of a tank, which is why you should only ever put in fish that your tank is their intended forever home.

I started off with 3 damsels and I had to remove every single rock in my tank to get them out.

Haha...Challenge accepted...:h5:

When the time comes feed them in the net. After a few times doing this they get use to the net being there then just scoop it up. Has always work for me...

Back