Dead live rock question

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Ok I have a few once live rock in a container outside its been there for a year my question is,is there a way to make it live again and if so how do I go about doing so?
Thank you,
Rose

Everything useful is dead on it now lol. I would assume there is nothing but bad stuff on it now so I would suggest (If you really want to use those rocks) boiling them or doing something in that matter...

Although you should take precausions boiling rocks there are rumors of certian ones exploding due to trapped air.

If completely dried out just clean the rocks off and assuming you didn't use copper meds or add something toxic at some point they will reseed with bacteria once they are put back into a tank with existing live rock...

If they have been sitting in freshwater or something like that I would probably clean them off and put them in a bucket of RO saltwater mix and test for a few days for any ammonia from die off, if there is none then put it in your tank....if you are unsure about the medication get a copper test kit.

Last edited:
Back