Dead or Alive?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
Could you guys ID this for me? I don't know if it's a coral (porites?) or sponge, but there's five patches of it on a piece of live rock I just got, and I initially thought it was dead. Anyway, over the last few days it's been in my tank, the biggest piece is turning brown, when it was originally a light cream color. Now I've heard the term 'browning out' in referring to dying corals, but does that mean this thing is alive? I just thought it was a skeleton.

coral.jpg

You can see two other patches in this picture.
coral-2.jpg

Oh yeah and I found a lone aiptasia on the back of the rock. :grumble: He's going to die.

Thanks in advance!

I cant remember what thse are called,but they usually dont last long.
When you touch it,does it feel slimy?If so,then its alive.If its not slimy,its dead.

It's turned a little darker since then, but I'm beginning to think it's because of small diatom bloom I'm having. I threw some pvc pipe in there and it's got a healthy coat of brown on it to, as well as the bottom of the tank. I still don't know if it's alive, but I've seen a few pods pick at its surface.

I also sprayed my aiptasia in the face with lime juice today, and he completely disappeared. He was a small one, so I hope he's dead. Kinda felt bad for him because he grabbed the eyedropper and thought it was food, and then he got a mouthful.

There's also this red blister thing that also recoiled in horror, but it recovered quickly. No idea what it is, but he was near the aiptasia. I'll have to take pics later.

Thanks for the comments. :Cheers:

I think it looks like a porites as well. I have often seen these corals come in with my live rock, and in some cases have continued to grow in my tank. The one in the photo does appear to be alive. If it starts getting covered in algae then you will know for sure that it is dead.

Back