Dead SPS...????

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
So yesterday I lost a mini colony of Paletta Prostrata, a mini colony of Garf Bonsai, a frag of Copp's Blue Tenuis and a frag of a purple lokani. WTF is going on? My tank smelled like dead SPS and so did my whole fish room. I was able to smell it before I hit the doorway.

I have absolutely no clue what went wrong. I'm missing no fish so it's not a death or anything like that. I did a large water change immediatly. Testes my levels and they're all in check like they should be and temp was right on at 78.

Today the tank smells like normal and so does the room. The rest of the SPS still look ok, but my huge duncan colony is all sucked in a strange. I'm going to do another water change tomorrow to see if I can get it more stable.

The only think I can think of happening was the harlequin shirimp I put in on Sunday died. Would one dead shrimp about 1.5" cause that much damage and stink?​

I can't imagine that one dead shrimp could cause all of that. Are you sure the corals are dead, or just really pissed off. Did you do anything at all different to your tank lately? Are your parameters fine? Stray voltage perhaps? New salt mix? Any new equipment? Did you stir the sandbed?

I've had something happening in my 50 gallon kind of like this recently. A few months ago my corals turned all white, and a couple of them died. I thought it was either from stirring the sandbed or my salt mix absorbing humidity and going bad. All but a couple of my corals came back and were doing fine again, and then a about a month ago they all started turning white again. This time I have no idea what's up... :/

That's kinda freaky...a big green tabling acro and a teal bottlebrush and a big chunk of my BN bleached/died in my tank, and my duncan frag is closed. I have no clue why.

Maybe it was "The Evil One" working her magic from afar. ;)

I do not think a dead shrimp would cause that type of damage.

Usually when something like that happens suddenly with several things dying, it is due to contamination from a cleaning product, an air freshener, or something like that. Did you use any products in the vicinity of the tank?

Holy cow! What is going on Dave?
I have seen things like this, but normally they were caused by Alk issues. I am assuming you ruled tthat out because you said you tested the water. What other equipment are you running, and any extra media (GFO, Bio Pellets, KALK Reactor, Etc.)

Did they just bleach out overnight? If so, I would think something contaminated the water. Could also have been a spike in alk, but that wouldn't drop fast unless the tank also had a precipitation event.

Back