Dead yellow tang

jahel318

Reefing newb
This is the 3rd yellow tang that has died on me in the last year! I don't understand what I may be doing wrong. All my parameters all on track and my other fish are doing great. I have 3 damsels, 2 clowns, a flame angel, and a starry blenny. Any ideas of what could be going on?

Well, between the fact that your tank is way too small and overstocked, that's probably why. Range really Ned a minimum of 6' lateral swimming space, and to add on that, you had 7 other fish, of which 5 are damsels. The clowns (damsel family) shouldn't bother it, but I bet it was catching hell from your 3 damsels. In a 44, you should really only have 3-5 fish max. I would leave it at the clowns, angel (though they are known to nip corals if you ever want any) and the blenny.

I wouldn't add any more fish to that tank. Like Kyle said the tang was way too big for that tank, didn't have any swimming space which probably stressed it out and led it to getting sick and dying.

It was a bacteria issue. Have you ever gone to a fish store and seen the same fish in a to small tank for months and wonder why they can do it and you cant? Uv light. Tangs dont have slime coats or "scales" like other fish and anything wrong with your tank will usually show up in a dead tang. Just bacteria issues that a stessed tang cant handle.
I agree with everyone here on to small of a tank, but i couldnt keep a tang too for longer than a month. Now i have had my yellow tang for 2 months after the installation of a uv light.
I swear by them, i did almost lost my whole stock before and will never run w/o one again. Tip top water quality for the tangs!

Sorry for your loss, its hard when you cant figure it out and understanding the stress vs actual infection of a fish.

Im not saying go get a uv light, but if size properly, as term of watts/gallon that fish would have lived longer. Once again im not saying it was the right fish for the tank.

Back