deal or no deal??

Well the 300 isnt going to happen, havent heard a thing from the guy so...What is the preferred tank style for reefing a taller tank like a 110(90 extra tall) or a longer tank like a 125 or 180? Just trying to reach a concensus on what style will be most suitable

Sorry the hear about the 300 gallon. I was really hoping you would end up with that... now you can buy the style you like.

I guess it depends on what you personally like. Reefs dont have a "style" requirement so it just matters on your space and personal taste...

Personally, i like the large tall/wide ones over the long ones. They are not as typical as the long ones and you probably have more room to play with for rock designing, etc. More open water. It just depends. I think if you';re planning on getting tangs, long tanks will probably work better. What kind of style do you personally like? I think most people prefer the long ones over the tall/wide ones.

Well I like the BIG ones! Ive seen some cubes that I really like. I actually helped stock the 8000gal natural biotope at the Pierce Cedar Creek Institute in Hastings MI and since then Ive wanted the biggest aquarium that I can possibly house<it was acrylic and the very first time that one of the biologists clean it they left HUGE gouges in it>I just know that I cant afford to have a custom tank made so Im going to end up buying a standard tankor buying one used.

Yeah, like Osc said, lighting should be a big consideration when thinking about a tall vs. a long tank. You will need stronger lights to penetrate a deeper tank.

So longer is cheaper basically. Are the prices for stronger lights going to be much different if we are talking a six foot lighting fixture or a pair of four footers for an eight foot tank?

Longer isn't always cheaper.The length and the depth all plays a role in lighting.For stock purposes,the longer the better.In most cases,I would chose a 125 gallon six foot tank over a 120g four foot tank.

Back