debate about water changes

I believe that after your tank matures, about a year or so, and your water parameters stay stable, and after you finally know how much to feed to keep nitrate from getting high, you could start limiting your water changes...Members like Biff, Yote, Dustin, etc. have had their tanks established for years now, which is why they don't have to do many, if any, water changes...their systems are self efficient. If your tank is less than 1 or 2 years old, continue to do regular water changes. How much or how often is up to you, only you know your system...All we could do is give advise or opinions, not a regimen.

hi guys im new to the forum ive just introduced my self in the new members section i have a 100 uk gallon reef tank and 200 litre sump tank i do 10% a week i use ozone and a deltec skimmer if i wanted i coud leave it a lot longer but water changes replenish essential trace elements manythanks and i hope this is of some help

Wow! here's my 2cents.

12 gallon nano I did a gallon water change on this weekly until it matured now its been running for 5 years now and I do 1-2 gallon water change on it monthly. (I have not added anything new to the aquarium and feeding is the same)

120 gallon sps tank (has been running for about 1 year now) gets a 30 gallon water change monthly. sump/refug with a large skimmer.

180 gallon reef I do a 30 gallon water change every other month (my leathers like higher nitrates, my sps and lps grows slower because they like it cleaner)

850 gallon reef 300 gallon water change monthly, we will be increasing this to 2 times a month. (I have a very large fish load, lots of phosphates)

all of my tanks besides the nano has the same type of filtration which I believe is an important factor in this as well as fish load, the types of coral you keep, and how much you feed.

winyfrog, Just curious what's your feeding cycle on your tanks?

my 12 gallon nano gets feed every other day or so I will feed pellets one day and frozen another. I feed my anemone in there a peice of krill about two times a month.

120 and 180 gets feed every day a mix of frozen emerald entree or marine cuisine and cyclops or cyclopeeze with vitamins and garlic. I feed algae sheets daily to the 180 for my tangs and foxface. and at least twice a week I feed pellets to both tanks.

850 get algae sheets twice a day and pellets daily, frozen 2-3 times a week. No feedings on sunday except maybe some algae.

cuttles get feed frozen or live shrimp daily. my mantis's get feed a meal 6 days a week.

I don't add any supplements to my nano.

180 I add purple up or turbo calcium and iodine every couple weeks. 120 gets a part A and B calcium alkalinity supplement as well as a PH buffer (this tank has no sand).

850 gets a kalkwasser top off daily, iodine added monthly and has a calcium reactor on it.

I do 20% changes once to twice a week. I think 10% is probably fine but I like to be sure my water changes are enough so I overkill.

As a side note to water changes. Cannot too many (or too often or much) water changes be detrimental to our systems?

Yep. Any big change in their environment can shock your animals. And new water and the old water in your tank are very different. I think any water changes of 50% of the tank's volume or more should be used in emergency situations only.

Yep. Any big change in their environment can shock your animals. And new water and the old water in your tank are very different. I think any water changes of 50% of the tank's volume or more should be used in emergency situations only.

I agree you need to be careful, every water change you do you are not only removing bad but you are also removing good bacteria.

Back