Debating MP10 for 5 gal. Pico

gpix

Reefing newb
All,

The end of the month is payday and that means I'm looking for what I want to buy next for the pico tank.

I have been debating on a powerhead for the tank because the little filter/powerhead that comes with the EcoPico is small and only has a sponge as a filter system. That is only going to build up and house stuff in there without doing much cleaning so, frankly, I want to get it out. The only problem is that leaves no flow for the tank, so the powerhead is needed.

I have heard many people with MP10s on their pico tanks and they love them. The only problem that I could see is how much they cost. It would put a dent in my wallet, that's for sure.

I am not too worried about the pump kicking up sand as the adaptability of the pump is outrageous in terms of modes and power, but also because it has such a broad flow. Also, if I get the nerve to go back to my 20 gallon in the future, I have a great pump for it.

Does anyone have any immediate qualms or suggestions regarding this issue? Any comments or experiences with this pump in your pico? I am genuinely considering this purchase.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think even the MP10 which is a great little pump (I have 2 of them) is way overkill for a tank this size. You'd have to run it on its lowest setting. Save your money for other things and buy a smaller Koralia, at least that is what I would do.

Or I'm thinking that you can buy a hang on back filter and take out all the filtering stuff out to use as a circulator.. Another plus would that it could add extra volume.

I think even the MP10 which is a great little pump (I have 2 of them) is way overkill for a tank this size. You'd have to run it on its lowest setting. Save your money for other things and buy a smaller Koralia, at least that is what I would do.

The thing is that I have a Koralia 425 gph, but I put that in and it was too powerful, but it's not on a wave maker or controller or anything, just straight flow. I could buy a koralia 250, but I just decided to take the sponge out of the filter/powerhead that comes with the ecopico because it appears to be a good amount of flow for right now. Maybe in the future when I have more monies I will just buy the MP10 for funzies and try it out.

Or I'm thinking that you can buy a hang on back filter and take out all the filtering stuff out to use as a circulator.. Another plus would that it could add extra volume.

This is true. I have an AC50, but that's pretty big, and clunky. haha good idea with water volume though..

Final decision:

I think at this point I've decided that I'm going to pass on the MP10 - for now at least :D. I was thinking I would take fastrd's advice and purchase other things. For one, I would like to purchase a par38 bulb. I just don't think these strips that the ecopico comes with are cutting it... Also, my LFS said they have a used booster pump for an RODI unit they'd be willing to part with for about ~$50. So, I'll take approximately $120 over potentially $240 for the one MP10.

Thanks for the comments you guys.

I'll go with the 60 degree; especially for a 10x10x12 inch tank, will need to be more focused than an 80 degree. Why do I feel like I'm talking about golf wedges? haha

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am going to order the RapidLED light today when I get home from work. :Cheers:

Time to trudge through the rest of the afternoon. :helm2:

Ok, I haven't bought the par38 yet from RapidLED because I have one concern:

I feel like this lamp is going to fry my tank inhabitants. lol

Is it going to be fine or will I need to hang it like 20 inches above my tank so it doesn't burn anything?

Ok, I haven't bought the par38 yet from RapidLED because I have one concern:

I feel like this lamp is going to fry my tank inhabitants. lol

Is it going to be fine or will I need to hang it like 20 inches above my tank so it doesn't burn anything?

Email Mike at Rapid and ask him. Voice your concerns to him and he will help you out within the hour I can guarantee it.

Also, let him know that Wade sent you over to him, he or Vince will take care of you.

Email Mike at Rapid and ask him. Voice your concerns to him and he will help you out within the hour I can guarantee it.

Also, let him know that Wade sent you over to him, he or Vince will take care of you.

I think I am going to go with a Nano Box. I really appreciate your time and suggestions and I might go ahead and contact Mike anyway just to get that information. Thanks!

I hope not. Seems like a great guy. Took the time to call me to answer the questions that I had and he has been more than helpful. Can't wait till I get the light!

Dave is awesome, he will go out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. I have 3 of his lights , and I am about to send my mini back for the storm controller to be added. I will be watching for yours to show up.

What color did you get ?

Dave is awesome, he will go out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. I have 3 of his lights , and I am about to send my mini back for the storm controller to be added. I will be watching for yours to show up.

What color did you get ?

+1 on the customer service!

I ended up going with a Matte White body and Matte Black accents + the Fixed Arm Mount for the tank + the Storm controller. I didn't go all fancy on the colors, but he just did up a carbon fiber wrapped one that looks sickkk. So the next light that I buy from him, assuming I get another one at some point, will definitely be more colorful. :D

What are the colors of your lights?

Back