Debelius' Reef Lobster

Yeah they say not reef safe at most LFSs.
But they also say spiny blue lobsters aren't reef safe, but I saw a magazine article once where this guy had like a 600 gal fully stocked reef and his centerpiece was a spiny blue. This hobby can be confusing sometimes.

I've always wanted one so I'm curious too. But I would rather someone else pave the way. I just tore my tank apart to catch a fish. It would be hard to catch a little lobster. I bet they're fast.

Last edited:
I've heard, A) that they are not reef safe, and B) that they hide constantly and you'll be lucky to see it a couple times a year.

I've heard, A) that they are not reef safe, and B) that they hide constantly and you'll be lucky to see it a couple times a year.

And both of those are correct.
While small,most things in the tank are fairly safe from a lobster,BUT you'll never see it because it'll stay back in the rock.When the get bigger,they'll eat anything they can grab including corals,other inverts and fish.

Mine has been in the tank for 7 yrs now. Been reef safe for me. Here is a pic of him. BTW I`ve only seen him 8 times in 7 yrs.

100_1948.jpg

Back