Dechlorinated tap water or RO water

linbeg

Reefing newb
I know that many would prefer RO than dechlorinated because it'd just be pure h20, but is there really anything with dechlorinated tap water? If i only use this type of water can it sustain a reef system?

The problem with tap water is that it will contain nitrates, phosphates, and trace minerals/metals that will cause algae outbreaks, possibly cause problems keeping sensitive inverts, as well as other problems down the line. Dechlorinating the water won't remove anything that will cause problems down the line.

If it is a fish only system, I think you might be able to get away with it, but in a reef system, it is nothing but trouble. RO all the way!!!!

I know Lowes carries an RO system for $147. I do believe you can add the DI canister at a later time. But really RO is better than tap and RO/DI is better than RO.

are all RO systems the same? like is there any good ones out there for a cheap price?
or are they all expensive like around a protein skimmer's price?

Last edited:
You can get a good RODI unit for around $150. They all basically do the same thing, but you will pay extra for perks like auto shut off, in line TDS meters, and storage tanks.

does the number of stages matter? i saw a good 2 stage one on ebay. will that be able to suffice?
Will any reverse osmosis system do the trick? or does it have to specific for aquarium use?

Last edited:
Its depends on the TDS of your tap water as to how "big" of an RO/DI system you may need.

My TDS out my well is 450ppm, and I got a barebone RO Unit from a local reefer for $50*new* (Sediment Filter, Carbon Block, and RO Membrane) Then I added the DI Seperatly from Bulk Reef. Well My TDS is 0ppm now :D

Last edited:
'You don't keep fish, you keep water.' - David Saxby

If you're going to skimp on your tank, skimping on the water itself it not the place to do it...

I don't know why so many people try to get by without a RODI system. It's by far one of the biggest mistakes a newbie makes next to rushing the cycle. If you wanta play, you gotta pay in this hobby. There are no short cuts, unfortunately.

Get a RODI unit and then more forward.

Filter Direct Online Store (C)

Best. Purchase. Ever.

I've worked with a lot of water purification systems, both in the hobby and in my line of work. The one I linked above is by far the best value in terms of money, effort setting up and maintaining, and efficiency making clean water.

alright, i'll get one, but for the time being i'll just prolly buy from the lfs. Is that a good idea? Or should their RO water not be trusted?

I buy from the LFS all the time. I only have a 30 gallon tank, spend 5 bucks a week in there on water... 10 gallons. 5 for top off, 5 for water change.

If you trust the LFS it would be fine. If you dont, just test the water before you use it.

I don't know why so many people try to get by without a RODI system. It's by far one of the biggest mistakes a newbie makes next to rushing the cycle. If you wanta play, you gotta pay in this hobby. There are no short cuts, unfortunately.

Get a RODI unit and then more forward.

Is not QTing in my opinion ....i know i'm alone on this ,but just don't care anymore:mrgreen:

IMHO,not QTing is worse than using tap water:twocents:

Back