Decided to brace the floor

salt newbie01

Reefing newb
I was worried this would be a big pain to do. Much to my surprise it was very simple. I thought I would share what I did in case anyone else was thinking of adding a little extra support under their tank but didn't quite know how to go about it.

I wanted to cover 3 floor beams, so I cut 3 pieces of 2x4 45" in length. I then screwed them together making an I beam. I made 2 columns of cinder block and topped each with a short piece of 2x4. I then placed a scissor jack (from an old car) on top of each column of cinder block. I set the I beam on top of the jacks and slowly raised them up until the I beam was against the floor beams. I tightened them up until I could see the floor rise just a little.

The results were amazing. The tank has no wobble anymore. Before you could lightly bounce and the tank would rock back and forth. Now I can jump and the water barely ripples. And the whole thing took less than 1 1/2 hours!

Here's a couple pics of the finished project. It may not be pretty but it works!!

100_2093.jpg

100_2091.jpg

nice! Lumber from hardware store - $15, Blocks from building supply - $10, scissor jack - $25, Knowing you wont wake up and find 12" of water under foot = PRICELESS :mrgreen:
Great job ! and did you photoshop those pictures, they looked awesome

Back