declorinater in saltwater help

That would be Prime more then likely. It doesnt remove ammonia it detoxifies it. Which in turn makes it easier to be converted into nitrite then nitrate. I have used Prime a lot for different reasons but mainly to protect fish in a established system from a minni cycle. Ro water should not have any ammonia in it to begin with. It wont hurt anything and prime does not mess with the skimmer like pretty much every other declor does. If you have detectable ammonia then by all means use it, other wise its just a waste of money.

Linking all your threads together isn't going to get you more help

As far as dechlorinator goes - why would you even need to use it on RO/DI water? The whole point of an RO/DI system is to remove things from the water. If it is working correctly, you wont have any chlorine in your water

so this is how it goes I have a filter that was on my freshwater tank and I took out the media (the one for the good baceria and I squezed it out and made sure it was very clean and I put it back and set up the filter on my saltwater fish tank then I filled it up with saltwater made from ro water and then after a while I put in live sand and the same day I put in live rocks thats all I did and then a few days later I tested the water for amonia and the test read 0.25-0.50 amonia in my tank.

Thats most likely from the freshwater bacteria. Even though you rinsed it off very well any bacteria left over would have died in the saltwater. Is this a new tank? If so I would just let it cycle, if it is your tank with fish I would start mixing water and get ready to do some water changes.

It can be as quick as 2 weeks, or it can take as long as 8. Just keep testing ammonia and nitrite and when both of those are zero you will be able to bring down your nitrates with a water change and get your first fish for the tank.

Back