deep sand bed and plenum

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
i am getting ready to set up my refugium
its a 36gallon 20x20x20 glass box that i had the glass cut for and assembled myself
i am going to do a DSB in it
i have read that unless there is a plenum under the DSB its worthless
any thoughts on this????

I'm not so sure that a DSB is all its cracked up to be to begin with,but to each his own.
I dont know that I'd want a plenum under a sand bed no how.But tend to use the K.I.S.S. method for about everything.

apparently the original philosphy is that without the zone of oxygen deprived water (the plenum) denitrification cant take place like it should or as eficiently

but then on a counterpoint we go to great lengths to avoid dead water zones in our tanks, but i guess the DT and a refugium are two different entities

Theres also no plenums in the oceans.
I was trying to find a thread on RC that told where DSBs can actually cause as much nitrates and they use.
I do know this.
I'm not running a DSB or refugium.The sand in my DT ranges from barely covering the bottom to 1" depending on where you look,and I have 0 nitrates.

I've read some about plenums and I came to the conclusion that the were now pretty much a thing of the past. Not real popular now days. I you decide to do one google it and do a lot of planning and research before you begin setting it up. If you have a collapse underneath it all, it's a real hassle to get under there to fix it. Good luck. Keep us posted!:trampolin

i have a plenum in my sump with about 8-9 inches of sand on top of it and no problems so far this tank has been running for just a little over a year

Back