deep sand bed in my fuge?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
My sump has been divided up, the return area is 11X14, and the fuge is 16x14. This equals around 12 gallons for the fuge. I was wondering how much sand I should put in this, and if there is any benefit to going deep. I have about 60lbs of the black sand I was talking about earlier, and I don't want to do a black bed in the tank, so I may as well put a pile in there.

ABSOLUTELY

I'd go with a MINIMUM 6" deep. You'll get EXCELLENT denitrification with 6". I think 7" or 8" would even be better. I don't know if there is a benefit to going deeper. Might be better? Might be worse? I never tried anything over 8" deep. I know with 8" of sand in the HOB refugium (just measured it--actually stopped typing this post--got the tape measure--and measured it.) I have no nitrates in the 10g fragano.

I think 100% of nitrate problems in fish only tanks, overpopulated tanks or over fed tanks could be solved with DSB's and skimmers. My tanks are living proof of that. I over feed and I don't have the best skimmers. The skimmers are built into the HOB refugiums. They work well, but I've seen skimmers that work better. I've also tried skimmers that worked like crap. I'd put these skimmers in the "average" category. The DSB in the refugium has GOT to be the reason my water is so stable.

I have to agree DSB's are awesome. I used to have a constant reading of 20ppm of nitrate before I added a dsb and upgraded my refuge light. Can't tell if it's more from the dsb or the chaeto growing like crazy, either way it works. 0 nitrates!

What is your goal or plans for the refugium?How many inches of water above the sandbed do you need.You can still get good denitrification with less sand.The finer the grade the less sand needed.Oolitic sand can give good denitrification in as little as 3-4''.You can even put an inch or two of oolitic and put the black sand on top.

Yeah, save the oolitic for the display and use that black sand in the fuge. Dump it in there until it's about 8" deep. When you put water on it, it'll settle.

yeah, but what about cheato and all the other good stuff you are supposed to have in a fuge? (forgive me, I've never had one

Back