Deep Six Hydrometer

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
has anyone bought one of these, it takes me several trys to get an accurate reading, is there a special way to use it, or am i doing something wrong. i read the instructions and did exactly what it said to do, most of the time the needle was always at the top even though my salitity is 1.022

someone please recommend me a good hydrometer!

UWWs right about hydrometers being inaccurate.
But if funds are tight,take your hydrometer to your LFS and have them check against their refractometer.Then just mark the difference in the reading on the hydrometer with a marker.

Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so, and even brand new ones are often inaccurate. You can get a good refractometer for around $40. I'd invest in one of those instead. It'll pay off in the end.

For now, I'd bring a sample of your water to the fish store and have them test it. It's weird that your hydrometer is reading all the way at the top. How do you know your salinity is at 1.022??

thanx guys, ill probably end up getting one since im planning on ordering a new filter and water test kit alredy.

Did you tap it to get all the bubbles off the needle? I finally got a refractometer and it says my salinity is 1.030 compared to 1.025 with the hydrometer. So I've been dropping it slowly through my water changes.

only thing i can think of is air bubbles. i have one. never had problems with it. my friend just bought one and when we used it for the first time after seasoning the needle for 24 hours there were air bubbles that we had to tap off of the needle

I finally bought a refractometer. My deep six read 1.026 but my salinity was actually 1.03:shock:. In the garbage went the deep six.

I guess I have been luck witht my hydrometer. I have a deep six like is being mentioned and it is spot on. I do rinse it out quite well in RO water after each use and I have had it for three years. I do check once a month with the LFS to make sure my measurements are spot on. So far, so good

-Doc

I guess I have been luck witht my hydrometer. I have a deep six like is being mentioned and it is spot on. I do rinse it out quite well in RO water after each use and I have had it for three years. I do check once a month with the LFS to make sure my measurements are spot on. So far, so good

-Doc

No doubt you'll get a good hydrometer every once in while.I just dont think that I want to trust my tank to something that may be off by quiet a bit though.
Those accurate hydrometers are few and far between.

are you supose to dip it in and place it on a flat surface for a few hours and then come bac and look where the needle is at, or just dip it, and put it on a flat srface and look right away?

are you supose to dip it in and place it on a flat surface for a few hours and then come bac and look where the needle is at, or just dip it, and put it on a flat srface and look right away?

when its new and never used you are supposed to fill it with salt water and let it sit for 24 hours to "season" the needle. then wash it out and it whould work fine

that is all I do, just fill it and set it on top of the light fixture to read it. SO far, so good.

-Doc

Back