Dendros (sun coral)

ErinCahir

Sausage Wrangler
I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this the right way...
My dendros still haven't opened (which I was expecting) so this morning I squirted it with a tiny bit of rotifeast. It's at the bottom of my tank (not totally in the shade, but I can move it) and it's pretty low flow.
That's what I do to get it to open, right? Squirt food at it?

Dendros and sun corals are two different corals, yours definitely looked like dendros. I personally like dendros better!! They are prettier and bigger, IMO.

In my experience, it can take a couple weeks to start getting them to open regularly. After a few days in your tank, they should adjust to your light schedule and start opening on their own at night. From there, if you start feeding them, they can also get used to your feeding schedule.

You shouldn't even have to directly shoot food at them, mine start to open up as soon as they sense any food in the water, even if the food is in another part of the tank.

I specified "sun coral" because when I was poking around on wet web media there are apparently two kinds of "dendros". One that looks like that carnation coral (or whatever it's called)... and the one that's mine.

It's still been puffing up quite a bit, and I haven't caught it open at night yet... but I moved it to a shadier area... so my fingers are still crossed.
My husband is driving me crazy with it. Every time he looks in the tank he's like "yeah, it's dead". It is not!

Speaking of dendros, has anyone seen these at a lfs or a frag swap. They are so awsome it is known as the dragons eye or Flamming Dendros.
flamingdendeos028_edited-1.jpg
:bowdown:

Welp, it's not white, so it's still alive. :)

But I have yet to see it come out. I've looked at night... still closed. I'm going to pay some extra attention to it at feeding time today.

When i first got my sun coral they wouldnt open either. So i would put a tiny bit of rods food on them and that would get them to open enough to feed them. After a few treatments of that they opened up to shrimp being in the water.

I personally turn off the day lights an hour before all the lights go out. This kinda simulates night fall and they usually come out about 20 min later knowing that they will be fed. I agree with Sarah too. I can feed my fish and the dentro's/sun coral...shyt basically every coral smells the food and extends their tenticals to reach for it. Goodluck, i just moved my black sun coral and my dentros. My dentros are now hanging upside down. =)

Back