denitrators

ok the reason i ask is to get the good skimmer the footprint will fit if i get rid of the uv sterilizer i just have to remove a baffle---it will be a little tight but i like the fact that the better one has a platform so i dont have movement of either part---however it says Requires additional feed pump with gph rating at approx. 1.5 times volume of your system---what does that mean?

If you are getting the recirculating skimmer, that skimmer sits on the ground, outside your sump. That's why it needs the extra pump -- to move the water from the sump to the skimmer.

this is what i ordered Reef Octopus NW 200
Skimmer* PS-CV-OCT-NW-200
this should be the one don't you agree? bifferwine-what model RO thingy did you get....and thanks for all your help-all of those who contributed----i am expecting my skimmer by fri and i will let you know how it works out---anybody ever dealt with aquacave?

ok one more----a was discussing my tank with a girl from my LFS and she said tyhat i dont really need live rock in my sump-instead of buying more-which i was there to do-she said just put the live rock from my sump in the tank---all i need is the good octopus skimmer and the fuge i have

opinions?

Rock in the fuge is pretty much a personal choice IMO.
But I do like a good DSB in the fuge with some rubble rock for the pods to breed in.

how about my sump???i got the octopus today and i can squeeze it in but then i wont have much room for baffles and i dont want to get micro bubbles--like i have now

If you have an external skimmer you don't want to put it in the sump. If it's internal then you place it in the sump. If you remove the baffles you'll most likely get bubbles.

Below is a link on RO/DI units. This is who I buy all my stuff from. I suggest the one that cost $160 however the $130 unit is good to. I know it's up there in price, But I went the cheaper route with I first started out and ended up kicking myself later on. Plus if you have any questions they have a number and everytime I've called they've answered, a human not a recorder. I suggest the $160 unit because it is a 75 GPD and has the 10 inch up-right DI housing that come's with it. The $130 one has the in-line sideway's DI unit. They tend to channle unless you stand them up-right. Plus the DI will last longer in the other type of unit and it's a lot easyer to replace. Both unit's come with everything needed included.
Here's the link:

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

Ok I had to go look it up but I think you got this one which is a in-sump skimmer:

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-nw-200-br-needle-wheel-protein--br-skimmer-496.html

I would have pointed you towards this one so you didn't have to do anything to your sump. It cost a few $$ more but may have saved you time, hassle and money in the end. Although you may be ok with what you have too.

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-dnw-150-br-recirculatingbr-protein-skimmer-984.html

Be careful when removing the baffles, if they are thin, or you remove to many they'll bow under the pressure. Or if you remove the wrong one you could end up with bubbles all the time.

Last edited:
220ppm? Did you anytime recently have a larger fish disappear? Also, a pocket of crud might be hidden in some spot where the flow pushes it --like under a rock or in a pipe.

Stipidsreef-i got the in the sump model (your first link) -because i had to remove the baffles hence the question about the live rock--if i dont need it i will have 11 more inches of room -then i can move the new skimmer back and replace the baffles 'cause i do have bubbles--as for the skimmer-the water level stays below the first chamber correct2)do these have a break in period?-i put it in last night and i have none of that tasty looking brown stuff yet....

thanks biff---patience---i gotta have patience---man--i wish i was god instead of tod then things wouldm be different!

thanks biff---patience---i gotta have patience---man--i wish i was god instead of tod then things wouldm be different!

:lol: That a good one!!

Congrats on your new skimmer. I think you'll find you like it. Biff is right, give it a few day's to break in. It will start off going crazy most likely, but then it will calm down. When it calm's down don't freak out, it's still working and will pull out junk. It might not be as dark or as much is all. And you have to remove the collection cup and clean it and the neck at least once a week.

Your in bussiness now :)

right now there is nothing in the skumbucket---the one i got has sides that go straight up---no indentation at the neck----now--how about live rock in the sump----should i leave it?

I still cannot figure the right level for the water in my skimmer to get it tgo work---i get a lot of bubbles right after i clean it but they soon die out-MY OCTOPUS IS THE ONE W/O THE INDENTED NECK AND HAS A REMOVABLE BLACK PLATE BETWEEN THE SKIMMER BODY AND THE TOP SCUZBUCKET THAT GETWATER IN IT AND WHEN I REMOVE IT FOR CLEANING THE WATER GOES BACK INTO THE SKIMMER BODY-I TRY TO SUCTION MOST OF IT OUT -BUT--THE TOP CONTAINER DOES NOT EVER GET THAT'GOOD TO THE LAST DROP' COFF LOOK---AS SOON AS I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT A PICTURE IN THIS THING I WILL

Back