Desperately need to figure out how to get this running right!

slm32123

Reefing newb
Heres a link to my build thread https://www.livingreefs.com/official-build-thread-slm32123-steve-t29798p3.html

If you look for the pictures of my sump itll make it easier to see what im doing i think.

Right now I have it set up so that the system overflows into the little 10 gallon where my sand and rock is, as well as my HOB skimmer. I also have in the 10 gallon a powerhead that is sending the water into the second and final chamber (just a rubbermaid tub) which has the return pump. I had to separate them this way because of all the bubbles being returned into the DT.

Heres the problem: For some reason I cant get the water levels to be right like i had them before. Right now I am thinking the easiest thing to do is to go buy a 20 gallon long tank and put baffles in it.

What do you guys think?

I don't think that there's any way you can match up the flow of the powerhead to the return pump. You can't use two pumps that way. The flow will never be equal and one will always drain faster than the other. Your best bet is your other plan -- to buy the tank and just use baffles.

I had it going perfect for a while, then i added water because of the evaporation. now i can't get it right again.

anyways I went and shelled out 40 bucks for a tank today. hopefully i will have the baffles in, and the sump in the stand by this weekend. Mother wants the 35 gone to make room for the tree!

Back