Detritus in sump

leon1972

Reefing newb
My nitrates are consistently at 20 and I have a feeling it's due to the detritus that continually collects in my sump. I do my water changes out of my sump but it doesn't seem to grab the detritus. Any suggestions guys?

Whenever I'm about to do a water change, I take a turkey baster and blow the crap around before I start the siphon.

I use a good old aquarium vacuum on my sump and fuge to clean the detritus out.
But I would guess that is not the sole source of your nitrates. To get 'trates to zero you need to do a lot of things like:

1. Have Good flow
  2. setup Fuge with macro-algae
  3. Regular water changes
  4. Don't overstock
  5. Use RO or distilled water for change outs and topoff
  6. Aquascape rock so detritus cannot get trapped in a corner or hole
  7. Do not over feed
  8. etc.

I already do all that except the aqua scraping part but I never see food get stuck it always flows around and through the aqua scraping I'm thinking of getting one of those bio pellet reactors to help out.

I use a good old aquarium vacuum on my sump and fuge to clean the detritus out.
But I would guess that is not the sole source of your nitrates. To get 'trates to zero you need to do a lot of things like:

1. Have Good flow
  2. setup Fuge with macro-algae
  3. Regular water changes
  4. Don't overstock
  5. Use RO or distilled water for change outs and topoff
  6. Aquascape rock so detritus cannot get trapped in a corner or hole
  7. Do not over feed
  8. etc.

Is there a reason you said to use 1/4 inch versus say 2 inch? I ask cuz I'm considering just getting a ball switch fitting for my sumps pump. Then I can just use the same pump for my return hose and my siphon!!!! I shut down my sump when I do water changes already cuz it's where I do my water changes so instead of shutting down I just switch hose is being used.

I find I can keep the siphon going with the 1/4" tubing - its slow, but it works. I also use a bucket that is shorter than my sump (I think its a 2g bucket) to siphon into, and think that might help.

Back