Detritus

jahel318

Reefing newb
I am having problems with fish poo and uneaten fodd layin' around on my sand. I was advised to get some dwarf zebra hermit crabs, tongan nassarius snails, and a sand sifting starfish. I've had these critters for several months but they seem to not clean up the waste. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

A couple of peppermint shrimp would take care of the food fast leaving the hermits and snails to take care of the poo, Would also cut back on the feeding

Seems to me if you have that much crap in your tank and a clean up crew.. you can easily go without feeding nearly as often and/or as much.

I only feed once per day just a pinch of dry pellets or brine shrimp. They usually eat up everything within 3-4 minutes

Last edited:
OK.. now we have hit on something.. useful..

I would like to recommend you stop using brine shrimp or pellets and shift to frozen cubes...

here is how I do it.. (I'm just one opinion) ..

I have a small square piece of acrylic about 4" square (anything similar will do)
I take out a cube of frozen reef tank food and use a knife to shave off a small amount (the amount as you stated that is eaten in about 10 minutes). I put the cube back into the cube package and back into the freezer. Then I scrape the shavings off into a shot glass of RODI water (or tank water). I feed this to my tank. The exacto knife, acrylic square, and shot glass are a "kit" I keep with my aquarium goodies.

You will find that many reef tankers will advise you that pellets introduce other products to your tank that cause the kinds of problems you may be having.. and brine shrimp are just candy with very little quality food value.

..confession.. just as I did when I had fresh water tanks.. I keep brine shrimp to feed my fish when I have company who wants to see all the fish and other critters come out. .. the little buggers love candy..

In any event, a try at this will do nothing worse that to add one more improvement to your tank.

Last edited:
I would take the sand sifting star back to the store. They do not eat detritus, but they do eat microfauna in the sand and will starve to death very quickly as they exhaust the food source in no time.

Instead get a brittle or serpent star. They will do a much better job getting rid of leftover food.

Unfortunately taking the starfish back isn't an option since I bought it online and the guarantee period is over. Do you think a serpent star would be OK in the same tank as the sand sifter or will they kill each other? Any type of serpent in particular?

Last edited:
They aren't without food. They are eating pods off the rock work. I do have a well established tank. And some fish also don't eat off the rocks like that. Each type of fish has a different eating habit. I have a pair of clowns so I can get away with it. Some fish, like anthias, require frequent small feedings.

I have about 19 fish and I feed 2 frozen cubes and probably 20 pellets and that is everyday at between 7 and 9:30. I also slap in one sheet of seaweed on average around 3PM if I am home. I have about 8 Huge Snails and a handful of hermits and my tank is always clean. Occasionally I get a little sand issue but rarely. I do have 2 Peppermint and 2 Cleaner Shrimp. I also have a Black Brittle in the tank and a Green Brittle that lives in the skimmer section of the sump.

Every so often I skip a day of feeding.

Normally this seems a bit heavy but the tank has been fine for well over a year. Had a minor bout of Cyano but many people have.

I have a large spot in my Fuge with Chaeto that has to be cut out every year. Last time I took out half of it or almost half and it was enough to fill 2 Publix Shopping Bags. I gave it to my friend who owns a coral and fish store.

I do run Carbon, UV and HC GFO. Sump Socks and a large skimmer.

I guess my point is that I am able to feed somewhat heavy but these fish eat it all. I have one Fox Face that I have seem grab a cube and eat like 80% of it.

Again even with all that, even I have trouble spots occasionally but thankfully they go away.

Unfortunately taking the starfish back isn't an option since I bought it online and the guarantee period is over. Do you think a serpent star would be OK in the same tank as the sand sifter or will they kill each other? Any type of serpent in particular?

Most local fish stores will take it as a trade or for some store credit.

Back