Diameter of hole for Auto Top Off float valve?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
Im at work and I was planning to drop off my new sump at the glass shop to get drilled but I can't find how big the hole needs to be for the auto top-off float valve.

I'm using the Pure Water Club one but their site is blocked at my work. Its that little white float valve. Dang.

Does anyone know the diamater of the Pure Water Club Auto Top-Off float valve?

1/2"? 3/4"?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what size bulk head fitting it uses.

A 1/2 inch bulk head DOES NOT require a 1/2 inch hole.

If I was you, I'd wait for the float valve to arrive in the mail and then measure the OD of the threads with a set of calipers. Order a hole saw 1mm larger.

richontools dot com is a great place to get diamond coated hole saws SUPER CHEAP. They come from Hong Kong in a tiny box with stamps plastered all over the outside. Takes about 10-14 days to receive the box. They work good for about 10 holes before they become dull. At that point, it will start to slow down and you'll spend almost twice as long to drill the 11th hole as the first hole. Still, for about $1.29 you can't beat it.

Doesn't matter what size bulk head fitting it uses.

A 1/2 inch bulk head DOES NOT require a 1/2 inch hole.

If I was you, I'd wait for the float valve to arrive in the mail and then measure the OD of the threads with a set of calipers. Order a hole saw 1mm larger.

richontools dot com is a great place to get diamond coated hole saws SUPER CHEAP. They come from Hong Kong in a tiny box with stamps plastered all over the outside. Takes about 10-14 days to receive the box. They work good for about 10 holes before they become dull. At that point, it will start to slow down and you'll spend almost twice as long to drill the 11th hole as the first hole. Still, for about $1.29 you can't beat it.

You are so right. I measured the diameter of the threads and, 5/8" is what I need. I bought the 1/2" drill bit this afternoon ($20 at Lowes) but I haven't opened it yet so I'm going to exchange it tomorrow. I wish I read your post sooner. And I wish I ordered a couple of them from that place you mentioned but now I can't wait. I've got the tank ready to go and just need one whole.

Last edited:
My new 30G sump/refugium is ready to go! Now I just need to cut a hole in the side of my stand to get it in there and then install all new 1" PVC plumbing.

And for anyone who wants to drill a hole in a glass tank for their plastic float auto top-off valve from "Pure Water", I used a 5/8" diamond coated hole saw and it fit perfect.

I siliconed a piece of right angle plastic to the strengthening brace bar, with the correct sized hole in that, much easier than trying to drill a hole in the glass imo.

Back