Diamond Watchman aka Orange Spotted Goby Question

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by DAvis, Nov 28, 2010.

1. DAvis

DAvis Reefer Madness

I have a Diamond goby happily living in my 28g nano, but when the time comes he(she?) will be moved to my soon-to-be 65g. He currently is enjoying the oolytic aragonite sugar-sized sand, as he is an avid sand sifter! For the new tank I have the Caribe Sea, Sea Flor Reef Grade sand. It is a nice uniform granular, but much coarser than the other. My question, will this be too much of a change for Mr Goby (Tito, to friends)? My guys at the LFS said he would be fine, as that's what they use and they are happily sand-sifting there (once again saving me money!). A very, very entertaining fish! Here he is hanging with our new torch!

Attached Files:

DAvis, Nov 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. DAvis

ltljoker The Great Tang Herder

He should br just fine. Just make sure you have a tight fitting lid cause the diamond goby is a known jumper.:Cheers:

ltljoker, Nov 28, 2010
    DAvis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DAvis

Bifferwine I am a girl

They will be able to sift the coarser sand just fine. Good looking fish you've got there! Tito. ;)

Bifferwine, Nov 28, 2010
    DAvis likes this.
  4. DAvis

DAvis Reefer Madness

Thank you ltlJ. Yes, I know that, but it's good to be reminded. Tito has never 'attempted' as far as I know. I only open the lid for water changes and there is a little feeding hatch. I keep closed except on water change or feeding. He has a voracious appetite, and does the sand bed cleaning as well.

He's done some very funny things, I pretend they are on purpose...

DAvis, Nov 28, 2010
  5. DAvis

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I use the aragonite....not fine sand by any means, and mine sifts it all day long.

wontonflip, Nov 28, 2010
  6. DAvis

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

I have aragonite, too. Mine sifted very happily until he caused a mini-rock slide and squished himself in his little cave. Watch out for that...

ErinCahir, Nov 29, 2010
  7. DAvis

photokaty

My goby is so awesome, but has caused some rock slides as well, fortunately sparing his life. And we have the aragonite, crushed coral, and caribsea fine sand as well. He loves it all.:D

photokaty, Nov 30, 2010
  8. DAvis

DAvis Reefer Madness

That's awful! I've had him about a year. I rearranged the rock and made sure it was on the bottom and secure. I got good warning from my LFS guys.

It will be nice switching to the coarser grade. If he's agitated he can make quite the sandstorm!

DAvis, Nov 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question