Diamond Watchman aka Orange Spotted Goby Question

DAvis

Reefer Madness
I have a Diamond goby happily living in my 28g nano, but when the time comes he(she?) will be moved to my soon-to-be 65g. He currently is enjoying the oolytic aragonite sugar-sized sand, as he is an avid sand sifter! For the new tank I have the Caribe Sea, Sea Flor Reef Grade sand. It is a nice uniform granular, but much coarser than the other. My question, will this be too much of a change for Mr Goby (Tito, to friends)? My guys at the LFS said he would be fine, as that's what they use and they are happily sand-sifting there (once again saving me money!). A very, very entertaining fish! Here he is hanging with our new torch!

Attachments

• tito2.jpg
    tito2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,462
  • tito1.jpg
    tito1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2,750
He should br just fine. Just make sure you have a tight fitting lid cause the diamond goby is a known jumper.:Cheers:

He should br just fine. Just make sure you have a tight fitting lid cause the diamond goby is a known jumper.:Cheers:
Thank you ltlJ. Yes, I know that, but it's good to be reminded. Tito has never 'attempted' as far as I know. I only open the lid for water changes and there is a little feeding hatch. I keep closed except on water change or feeding. He has a voracious appetite, and does the sand bed cleaning as well.

He's done some very funny things, I pretend they are on purpose...

I have aragonite, too. Mine sifted very happily until he caused a mini-rock slide and squished himself in his little cave. Watch out for that...

My goby is so awesome, but has caused some rock slides as well, fortunately sparing his life. And we have the aragonite, crushed coral, and caribsea fine sand as well. He loves it all.:D

I have aragonite, too. Mine sifted very happily until he caused a mini-rock slide and squished himself in his little cave. Watch out for that...

That's awful! I've had him about a year. I rearranged the rock and made sure it was on the bottom and secure. I got good warning from my LFS guys.

My goby is so awesome, but has caused some rock slides as well, fortunately sparing his life. And we have the aragonite, crushed coral, and caribsea fine sand as well. He loves it all.:D

It will be nice switching to the coarser grade. If he's agitated he can make quite the sandstorm!

Back