Diamond Watchman Goby

pretty fish!

just reading the description, you MIGHT be able to get away with 2, but it might be iffy, unless they pair up for mating.

The Diamond Watchman Goby is also commonly referred to as the Pretty Prawn, Maiden, Orange Spotted Diamond, Orange-dashed, or Orangespotted Sleeper Goby. It was first discovered in the Indo-Pacific Ocean in 1956 by Tomiyama. The head and body are white with orange spots. It is a very timid fish that makes a great addition to the reef tank because of its longevity. It should be housed in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium with live sand as the substrate, and an attached populated refugium. The Diamond Watchman Goby uses shallow burrows in the substrate as refuge, keeping the substrate well oxygenated. It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair.
The Diamond Watchman Goby feeds off the bottom as it sifts through the sand. Its diet should include a variety of live and frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores. It should be fed frequently.
I would say NO. :twocents:

I had one in a 30g tank. Great sand sifter. I have a DSB in the display, so it was the perfect fish for keeping the sand stirred. Sadly, I had to leave my wife in charge of feeding the fish while I was at work and he starved to death over a few months time. I didn't notice it for a couple months and when I finally did it was impossible to fatten him back up to healthy proportions. They need a lot of food and you need to turn off the pumps to reduce flow in the tank. They aren't great at swimming after their food. They can do it, but it's a lot of energy to swim around and suck in tiny bits of food.

They do much better if pea sized chunks are placed near their burrow or squirted almost in front of their face. That way they can easily suck up big gulps of meaty bits. They DO eat a lot and require diligent care and feeding.

Not a fish that you can just dump food in the tank and expect them to survive -- unless you DRASTICALLY overfeed the tank every day.

Thats just my opinion based on the one I had. Each fish is different, so use your own judgement.

Last edited:
If you get two different sexes, then yes...if not then no... Although it may be difficult to tell the difference. If you want two sand shifters, get a diamond goby and a bullet goby, they should do fine together.

Yep.The ones I linked to,actually do better in pairs.
When we've got em at the store,they will always be paired up.Usually one hanging just above the other.

yote is exactly right. I in fact almost got a pair a while back. but never did. I would do 2 sleeper gobies if you want 2 instead of 1.

The blue dot is like $150. No way man! lol. The yellow headed one is more reasonable for like $25. Never thought of getting a Jawfish though.

After watching the youtubes about jawfish, I'm gonna get more substrate to get one. They look fun! Would jawfish have problem with gobies?

If you get two different sexes, then yes...if not then no... Although it may be difficult to tell the difference. If you want two sand shifters, get a diamond goby and a bullet goby, they should do fine together.

I totally agree. I have a pink spotted goby and a bullet goby and they do great in my 125. Two of the same type goby will be bad news unless they are a mated pair.

Back