Diatom Bloom or Something Else?

Goob

Reefing newb
I just got back into town after being away for almost two weeks. I had someone taking care of my fish and gave them detailed instructions to make sure they weren't overfed. Anyways, this is what I came back to....

I've had this tank set up for five months and have been doing water changes religiously. I've only lost one fish during that time and it has been a very peaceful tank.

Initially, I've never had a diatom bloom. I thought it was weird because I've read up on them but some people said you won't get them until way later. My tank cycled and had 0 readings before I added anything else to it. If this were brown, I'd believe it to be a diatom bloom but this is more of a purple/redish color.

Is this a diatom bloom or something else? Should I start scrubbing my rocks and trying to clean my tank or let this run its course?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 444
HI, personally I think it is a cynobacteria outbreak.(very red appearance) If you google red cyno there is a ton of info online.
I would start with vacuuming as much as possible out, and lots of water changes.
It tends to grow in high nutrient tanks so double check your Phos & nitrate readings, although they may both appear ok, the cyno is probably consuming it to survive so your readings in that regard will be false. But if your test for phos comes in at 0.5 it is probably double that in reality.
Hope this helps.

Improving the flow is a good thing. What happens is the sheet traps the nutrients underneath and they can't be washed away to be used elsewhere. I changed the the flow pattern of my wavemaker and what little bit I had disappeared.

Thanks for the help everyone. I added another powerhead a few weeks ago and it has helped tremendously. I've also cut down on how much I keep the overhead light on as well. You guys are great.

Back