Diatomes keep coming back

fasteddie

Reefing newb
3 1/2 weeks into our cycle and I have watched this brown algae cover the live rock 3 times now. It seems to like the whiter rock more, or maybe it just shows up better on a lighter rock I dont know. The snails clean up a lot of it but they cant keep up. Last night I specificaly remember looking at a piece of LR and noticing how clean the snails got it, nice and white with a few spots of purple and red, today when I get home from work it is covered with algae again. So I guess I will blitz it with a few snails for now but what might cause this? Or is it normal?

Just thought of something, We were doing tank maintinence last night and part of that was adding stress zyme to the tank. That was probably it right?

Thanks ....Eddie

Your tank is new my friend and that is just part of the deal. Diatoms, cyano and hair algae are to be expected at this stage of the game. They will let up with time.

This is totally normal not only for the first few weeks, but for the first few months. There really isn't anything you can do. The Stress-Zyme won't cause it. In fact, there really isn't a need for Stress-Zyme in the first place, I'm wondering why you're using it?

Ditch the stress-zyme.If your using RO or distilled water,there is no chlorine or other nasties in it.Not to mention,that stress-zyme will make a skimmer go ballistic.
And your just getting started with the diatoms,there the least of whats to come with a new tank.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Biffer, we read in this book we are following somewhere about using Stress Zyme to add valuables to your tank. Its unanimous, I'm gonna stop using it now.

Yeah, stress-zyme is more for freshwater tanks to get beneficial bacteria started or for fish only tanks with no live rock or sand. Since you have live rock and I'm assuming live sand you won't need it.

Ok, I get home from work today and I glanced at the tank and noticed the diatoms were back AGAIN. Every time the tank starts clearing up and looking good, the brown stuff comes back again. I haven't done anything to the tank in a week when we added some LR but it didn't completely cover the tank and was pretty much gone betwix the snails, fish and hermits, but this time it put a film on everything.
The only thing that I noticed happen was the fact that my coral banded shrimp molted last night and I didn't retrieve the exoskeliton until about 4:30 today. This may seem dumb but would that have anything to do with the brown algae?
One more thing, we are due for our first water change since we set the tank up, we haven't been able to do one yet because of the nitrites being a little high, but I think we are going to do a change tomorrow anyhow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

i had diatoms for a long while took forever to clear up so i slowed down water changes cause it threw me into a constant cycle, conchs will keep sand bed clean make sure you have good flow and sit back and watch it will all fall into place remember the most important thing in this hobby is patience if you don't have patience it will crash. some people get to excited and throw in a bunch of fish at once, i added mine every 6 weeks but i only keep maintenance fish like tangs for algae and wrasse for pest and gobies for sand.

The shrimp molting doesn't have anything to do with the diatoms. There isn't anything unusual with what's happening to your tank. It happens to almost every single new tank. Just wait it out. There isn't anything else you can do, besides getting a cleaner crew to stir the sand. But getting diatoms in the beginning is inevitable.

The more you try to get rid of diatoms,the longer its going to take.You'll have them untill the silicates in your water are used up.Then they all die off and you be ready for the next big outbreak.Which with probably be cyano or hair algae.

Ok cool, I was under the assumption that the tank would only cycle through the brown algae once during the intial break in phase, but you know what "assume" means.
Thanks for the heads up on the next outbreaks yote.

Back